Leer Cap XR Tacoma

The Riddler

Pulled the trigger last week on a Leer Cap XR for the Taco. I dig the frameless window. I shopped for a couple of months waiting for the right deal and save hundreds used on C list or FB market place but out of the 3 I found all had issues.  Mis matched paint, cracks, whatever. Once leer had the free slide window, or headliner or 50 bucks back I pulled the trigger. 2125 out the door with rack attachment strips that cost 225 bucks installed.  I may install racks at some point but at least the tracking will be on and aI can easily put it on to get kayaks on the roof. 

So hopefully the paint matches on the silver sky like the photo I see below.  Silver sky is a tough color to match.  The ARE models I saw of Silver Sky didn’t even come close. 

92626CDA-E8D3-4184-8E0B-7AFFD0E68C70.jpeg

Good choice on the leer, had one on my 04’ Tacoma.  It’s still going strong on it’s third owner (family friend) no leaks or cracks.  My ARE that I had on my Silverado was nothing but issues, windows leaked from day one, hardware rusted in less then 6 months, screws backed out of window trim from driving on dirt roads and plastic trim where it meets the tailgate cracked.  Only had it a year and a half before I sold the truck.  

On 2/26/2019 at 6:54 PM, ne_dan said:

Good choice on the leer, had one on my 04’ Tacoma.  It’s still going strong on it’s third owner (family friend) no leaks or cracks.  My ARE that I had on my Silverado was nothing but issues, windows leaked from day one, hardware rusted in less then 6 months, screws backed out of window trim from driving on dirt roads and plastic trim where it meets the tailgate cracked.  Only had it a year and a half before I sold the truck.  

I have had leer in the past but always bought second hand. Man, they don’t even supply a number to the factory!  I had a question on racks but was able to get it solved by calling rhino rack. 

I believe on the East Coast Leer makes them at at a PA location plant.

I just called Rhino Rack. I found out Rhino Rack will work with Leers Tracks for Thule and Yakima. You just need to buy an adapter plate.

I went with Rhino because the price was way cheaper and just as easy to remove. By the time you get it all hooked up from Yakima and Thule the price was over 500 bucks for the racks. From what I gather Tracker II by Thule has been discontinued and I really can't stand the square bars anyways. Once you go Aero style it gets pricey. That's where Rhino Racks price is much better plus the square adapters.

rhino1.JPG

rhino2.JPG

30 mins ago, The Riddler said:

I went with Rhino because the price was way cheaper and just as easy to remove. By the time you get it all hooked up from Yakima and Thule the price was over 500 bucks for the racks. From what I gather Tracker II by Thule has been discontinued and I really can't stand the square bars anyways. Once you go Aero style it gets pricey. That's where Rhino Racks price is much better plus the square adapters.

I went with the acadia package,  has a bunch of the options i wanted,  made the most sense (i guess)

Separately purchased, i would have gotten less for more $$,

I originally wanted to do just the tracks,  removable slider,  & head liner & get bars later on  but for a little more, i got the tracks & rack, headliner,  removable slider,  overhead cargo net, double light & gas prop switch..

i think the pptions package came out to 7 bills, also got the aero bars not the tracker bars.....

I mentioned the trackers being discontinued but the  rep didn't know anything about it..... what ever,  i didn't want that bar either...

Do you guys see the coupons on Leer website? 

I ended up getting the tracks installed...not positive if I will get the racks because I am so use to putting the kayaks in back but if I head to Florida or do serious camping it's going to be the racks and probably even a storage locker of some sort. I saw the new Pioneer Rack. Not sure if it locks the reels but I like the angle so you don't lose rack space. It's a nice option for the racks that sits out a few inches of unused space.

rhino3rodrack.JPG

18 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Do you guys see the coupons on Leer website? 

I ended up getting the tracks installed...not positive if I will get the racks because I am so use to putting the kayaks in back but if I head to Florida or do serious camping it's going to be the racks and probably even a storage locker of some sort. I saw the new Pioneer Rack. Not sure if it locks the reels but I like the angle so you don't lose rack space. It's a nice option for the racks that sits out a few inches of unused space.

rhino3rodrack.JPG

Yeah, I saw the coupons for a bunch of things but I couldn't use them since I got the package, I was able to use the 50 bucks off qualifying cap coupon though.

I get what you're saying About bed loading, this is my first pick up, it was so much easier then car topping on my 06 explorer.

I used the t-bar & made a tail light assembly for night travel.

What do you think about interior roof racks, i know it takes a little head room but everythings safer imo.. i got so used to hanging all my rods inside my explorer i dont think i could ever go back to exterior racks.....

When im sleeping in the truck or away from it it's all about security for me, i trust nobody...