coolhandfluke

tip pre tax or total amount

Rate this topic

136 posts in this topic

was out with a client for dinner the other night. I paid the bill and left about 20% tip on total. client was befuddled why I would tip on total. he and claims all his friends tip on pre tax amount and is between 15 -20 % on tip depending where they eat.

why tip on tax the government sets. stupid he says. basic diners and bar style food he tips 15%.    restaurants he tips 20% if the service is good. 

some just double the tax + which comes to about 17% in NYS,

had to remind myself that florida tax is like 6% and you need to at least triple it

I used to have dinner with a doctor friend of mine. He had a handy calculator watch and man, he used it. I was astounded he needed a calculator in the first place. And he always had butter running down his chin. It was disgusting.

Just now, Tom T said:

Seriously though, am I right in thinking that 20% is more normal than not these days?  

Some places are tacking on an additional percentage so that the kitchen staff gets some. **** those places.

20% on total my standard on average service. Good service sometimes 30%.

I figure if I gotta count the pennies I should eat at home!

Poor service, like I gotta wave em down to get a glass of water, coffee, etc because he or she left the food & stand around yaking with coworkers I got no problem stiffing em!

Once had a waitress at a breakfast drop the my toast butter side down on the table. Got an oops, sorry, but never came back with new toast or even to refill coffee til she brought the check. Party of 6, I picked up the check & slid a single $ under the slice of toast still on the table.