Mainefishhunter7737

New England Striper Plugs

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Captain Tuttle said:

Kastmasters have gotten more love than anything else in my bag.

It really is amazing what you can catch with a Kastmaster. I've caught rainbows, lakers, LL salmon, smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, stripers, bluefish, flounder, sea robins, etc with them.

36 mins ago, zak-striper said:

It really is amazing what you can catch with a Kastmaster. I've caught rainbows, lakers, LL salmon, smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, stripers, bluefish, flounder, sea robins, etc with them.

Kastmaster are great. You need to try a Hopkins sometimes dragged along the sandy beach bottom ever so slow. Or better yet a diamond jig reeled the same way with a single stout hook . Some rather large big mommas have been caught over time by metal through the years and that is a fact non can deny.

59 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

You need to try a Hopkins sometimes dragged along the sandy beach bottom ever so slow. 

Acme Trophy spoons which are just like a Hopkins shorty, are one of my all-time favorite laker lures.

2015-04-21_12-00-59_503.jpg.b72ca162738fa0880133af4635a9d87a.jpg

Kastmaster XLs, Deadly Dicks and Pt Jude sea scallop spoons are also very prodctive metals for me.

Let’s add color into the question.. what colors work best? Spring , summer, fall? I never have any luck with blue lures. I don’t use them because I never catch with them, maybe it’s a self filling prophecy.. I like bone and yellow.

1 hour ago, Kanine Kleenup said:

Let’s add color into the question.. what colors work best? Spring , summer, fall? I never have any luck with blue lures. I don’t use them because I never catch with them, maybe it’s a self filling prophecy.. I like bone and yellow.

Every color has a time and a place. My most productive around Cape Cod have been bone or white, black or blurple and yellow, neon green and pink.

2 hours ago, Kanine Kleenup said:

I'm a big fan of white.  If a plug has a dark color, it better have a white underbody.  Blue has worked for me with Kastmasters and Yozuri minnows, but they also have white or silver.  

There is an interesting article in OTW this month about plug color.  

2 mins ago, Captain Tuttle said:

I'm a big fan of white.  If a plug has a dark color, it better have a white underbody.  Blue has worked for me with Kastmasters and Yozuri minnows, but they also have white or silver.  

There is an interesting article in OTW this month about plug color.  

I think a gradient in general is effective whether it be blue over white, green over yellow, black over purple, etc. Its natural to see gradients in bait and is probably something that the predators key in on.

If you attempt to duplicate the color of the bait they are feeding on , for example when the squid are around I choose to use pink colors on the lead and the plastic tails . White is the predominated color, but during the stealth hours I prefer black red, green . Keep a couple of different colors in the bag and change them after the fish do not get attracted to them. THe same goes for metal as well  . When redoing your metal in the fall color a few with different colors[yellow, red, green, white and  then cover them with hard as nails finger nail polish or marine varnish  Do a couple of coats with enough drying inbetween

regardless of what bait is around regardless of the weather conditions,either a 5 or 6 inch SP minnow is my plug of choice ,color doesnt matter.after that needlefish and rubber