Mainefishhunter7737

New England Striper Plugs

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

21 mins ago, Mainefishhunter7737 said:

I've tried pencil poppers but I haven't even gotten 1 hit

They're really only effective during surface feeds or in skinny surf conditions, though fished with the right rythm they can pull fish up from the bottom.

In 2017  pencil poppers  caught about 50% of my striper catch for the year about 300 fish on pencils. First year I really used one. This  homemade  wooden one in pic was the big catcher. This plug produced from May-October. Mostly smaller fish with a handful in the 28-34" range. SP's caught the bigger fish for me that year. Last year 2018 a real bust on all fronts. No big fish, numbers way down, what a difference from previous year. Fish were just not around my area  period. Went from one of my best years in 2017 to one of my worst. 

IMG_2181.JPG

2 mins ago, Livliner said:

In 2017  pencil poppers  caught about 50% of my striper catch for the year about 300 fish on pencils. First year I really used one. This  homemade  wooden one in pic was the big catcher. This plug produced from May-October. Mostly smaller fish with a handful in the 28-34" range. SP's caught the bigger fish for me that year. Last year 2018 a real bust on all fronts. No big fish, numbers way down, what a difference from previous year. Fish were just not around my area  period. Went from one of my best years in 2017 to one of my worst. 

IMG_2181.JPG

how did you make that?

2 hours ago, Mainefishhunter7737 said:

It’s about a certain cadence at the right time.

timing is more key then all on pencil. No one rule set in stone.

pikie

needle fish 

pencils 

number one producer ..... paddle tail rubbers

Posted (edited) · Report post

Mainefishhunter- I can't take credit for making that pencil. My talented cousin made it. It's thru wired and weighted. It is about done now, water logged and beat up. I sanded and repainted mid-season but its not swimming like it used to. I am now loading Cordell's.

Edited by Livliner

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, Mainefishhunter7737 said:

They are a specialized lure for particular situations such as when stripers have a surface blitz going on. I rarely use poppers as a search lure for stripers unless I'm fishing at sunrise or sunset.

However, when I'm fishing for blues, a popper on a beach is one of my search lures that will usually find feeding blues if they are around.

Edited by zak-striper

I've got an old, silver, plastic popper that can double as a maraca.  Rod action (long jerk) can make it dive and the color and sound close the deal.  I believe it was billed as a bluefish lure.  Stripers love it.

I think the real defining factors are when, where, and what bait is in the area. Those factors will help pinpoint what might be the most effective plugs and presentations on a given night.