Domer98

Trolling mojo rigs

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I am looking for a reel to troll mojo rigs ( including tandem ) and was think to get the Tekota 500 or 600 (not newer A model). I would likely use 40 or 50 # braid. Would the reel and like be adequate for the job.  What rod would you recommend too. Thanks in advance. 

1 hour ago, Domer98 said:

I am looking for a reel to troll mojo rigs ( including tandem ) and was think to get the Tekota 500 or 600 (not newer A model). I would likely use 40 or 50 # braid. Would the reel and like be adequate for the job.  What rod would you recommend too. Thanks in advance. 

I use the 600's LC and they work well, you could also use Penn Senators .I have penn Mariner rods ,they're cheap rods but they work fine.

13 mins ago, AlwaysWading said:

I use the 600's LC and they work well, you could also use Penn Senators .I have penn Mariner rods ,they're cheap rods but they work fine.

I have 5 Penn 113H’s and an Avet MX but have some Shimano reels that I really like and would like to get one for trolling. Do you find the 600 versatile, say for jigging with eels - realizing I may need to change rods. 

I think they'd work just fine. I use the 700lc for trolling spoons.

I wonder what others would say about trolling heavier mojos, like up to 32 oz, with a levelwind. I don't think it would be a problem. 

16 mins ago, matt boyer said:

The penn warfare 20s have lasted a few seasons doing this.

Penn Warfare looks like a nice reel and price is attractive too.

20 mins ago, Domer98 said:

I have 5 Penn 113H’s and an Avet MX but have some Shimano reels that I really like and would like to get one for trolling. Do you find the 600 versatile, say for jigging with eels - realizing I may need to change rods. 

I have other reels that I'd use for jigging before the 600's ,they're LC's (line counters ) and they're a little cumbersome for jigging.