Chipnice

Tires

52 posts in this topic

On 4/7/2019 at 1:27 PM, Double_D said:

I lift trucks and crossover vehicles for a living, the Falken Wildpeak AT3W are the best bang for the buck, if you want more aggressive tire Falken Wildpeak MTO1, my third favorite tire and is priced right is Toyo Open Country A/T II's been hanging Toyo's on my RAV4 overland packages.

IMG_5660.jpg

IMG_5663 (1).jpg

I’ve been putting this off   Gonna pill the trigger on the falkens. 116 or 123s.  I will be towing a 17 Boston whaler occasionally. Thanks

I've been very happy with Yokohama Geolander A/T G015 on my last couple of 4runners. Just right for my sand use and occasional Maine woods driving. No road noise and last 50k +. 

On 3/28/2019 at 0:00 PM, oldgoat said:

Haven't had a beach car in over fifteen years and I live 8 miles from Nauset  beach gatehouse so I can't comment on the latest tires but the last tires I liked were Coopers for their sidewalls.

As kids we would go to Chicky Clark's junk yard and buy baldies for a buck a piece for our beach cars.

When I say cars I owned three cars before I broke the hundred dollar mark.

yep...these guys will never know the pleasure  of running the beach with only 2 wheel drive..ford country squire..vw thing..vw beetles..old woodies...bread trucks...3" wide tires...used airplane tires....big and bald the better..floating on sand like a feather in the wind.

1 hour ago, capesams said:

yep...these guys will never know the pleasure  of running the beach with only 2 wheel drive..ford country squire..vw thing..vw beetles..old woodies...bread trucks...3" wide tires...used airplane tires....big and bald the better..floating on sand like a feather in the wind.

So true.

On 4/7/2019 at 1:27 PM, Double_D said:

I lift trucks and crossover vehicles for a living, the Falken Wildpeak AT3W are the best bang for the buck, if you want more aggressive tire Falken Wildpeak MTO1, my third favorite tire and is priced right is Toyo Open Country A/T II's been hanging Toyo's on my RAV4 overland packages.

I just put Faulken Wildpeak ATW's on my Expedition. So far they are one of they smoothest tires I've had on 45 years of  beach vehicles.

7 hours ago, Capt Buck said:

I just put Faulken Wildpeak ATW's on my Expedition. So far they are one of they smoothest tires I've had on 45 years of  beach vehicles.

Correction, I have Faulken Wildpeak HT's on my buggy. And they do have excellent manners

falra2.ang.l.jpg

5 hours ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

Surprised a lot of you guys use A/Ts in the sand; HTs always treated me better on the beaches (and better highway manners).

I prefer ATs because they are better in the snow, give more protection from sharp objects and also last much longer due to the high tread depth they start withcompared to a highway tire. I have 74,000 miles on a set of Toyo Open Country AT and there is still a lot of tread left. 

Firestone Destination AT2. Super quiet, and relatively inexpensive. I replace them every 40k, just about when they start getting noisy, and give my old ones to a buddy for the last 20k.  I love the feeling you get riding four new tires.  I drive 99.9% on asphalt, most on an interstate at 65+, so road noise and handling is important. There are far better AT tires out there, and I would by them if I drove off-road as much as I’d like, but my truck rarely sees 4wd.

I used to love my Michelin tires.  Expensive and would go an easy 80k+, but they would be noisy.  
I’m at the point now where I’m thinking about buying a second set of wheels for AT tires, saving them for the winter and beach trips, and full timing a comfy highway truck tire on my reg wheels.  I already have enough crap. 

I was between the AT3W's and the Grabber ATx.  

Went with the generals after they offered a $100 rebate.  Super happy with them.  Same concept as the AT3W.  Mix of road and offroad, has same winter rating too.  

Very quiet on the highway too.  

The Yoko geolanders performed well on the beach for me but I have found they wear quickly otherwise.  I am a big fan of the commercial traction tires...when dunlop stopped making the radial rover commercials, I started using the commercial traction tires pictured.  I have them on my wife's suburban and a land rover...perform as well as a mud tire off road.   I have a Tacoma with a manual tranny I keep at the farm / timber management property as a work truck...would love to put them on it...didnt realize they made them in a size that would fit an older Taco.