jjdbike

Let’s talk Scotch

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

What’s your fav Scotch?

I like Talisker, Laphroaig, Ardbeg, really like Lagvulin 16 but it’s out of my price range.

Tried Glenfidich Fire & Cain. Young & not very refined, complex or smooth, but a good deal of flavor which I like. Smoke up front w/ a Carmel finish. Not bad for $40.

What do you like?

JD

I used to really enjoy scotch, but switched to bourbon 7 or 8 years ago.   A few weeks ago got a bottle of Balvenie DoubleWood 17yr  as a birthday gift.   I must've lost my palate for the stuff, cause my instinct when I take a sip is to make the face my daughter makes when she takes a bite of brussels sprouts.  

When I did drink more, the 12 year doublewood was my favorite

While I can appreciate all the complexities of taste involved with drinking scotch it was never my thing.

That being said I did enjoy Macallan 12. Really the only one I could tolerate. 

I'm a fan of Glenlivet 15 year old and Monkey Shoulder for when No one gifts me the Glenlivet 15 or Blantons

13 hours ago, NaturalScience said:

While I can appreciate all the complexities of taste involved with drinking scotch it was never my thing.

That being said I did enjoy Macallan 12. Really the only one I could tolerate. 

That's a good one. You and James Bond.

7 hours ago, jolly mon said:

I'm a fan of Glenlivet 15 year old and Monkey Shoulder for when No one gifts me the Glenlivet 15 or Blantons

So you don't like a lot of smoke?. Never heard of Monkey Shoulder. I looked it & it gets good reviews.

13 hours ago, fishfood said:

I used to really enjoy scotch, but switched to bourbon 7 or 8 years ago.   A few weeks ago got a bottle of Balvenie DoubleWood 17yr  as a birthday gift.   I must've lost my palate for the stuff, cause my instinct when I take a sip is to make the face my daughter makes when she takes a bite of brussels sprouts.  

When I did drink more, the 12 year doublewood was my favorite

That's funny. Yes it's a strong flavor that takes getting used to & clearly, not for everyone.

I love brussel sprouts :)

JD

16 hours ago, jjdbike said:

What’s your fav Scotch?

The one that stays on the shelf. Ever since I drank why to much Southern comfort and got violently sick back whan I was about 15, can't go near any type of dark liquor. :upck:

My friends who are single malt  aficionados tell me I'm a cave man, but I like Johnny Black.  Never really liked most of the single malts except for Glenfidich.  

9 hours ago, FizzyFish said:

Lagavulin 16 is my favorite, and once in a blue moon, something like this.

Lagavulin  12 year old 1.4.18 001.JPG

Lagavulin  12 year old 1.4.18 002.JPG

That 16 yr old is also my favorite, solid flavor, nice complexity & sooo smooooth.

JD

8 hours ago, Dave588 said:

We usually only drink scotch when visiting family. I like Glenlivet. But no complaints with Chivas, Johnny Walker and Dewars.

I find Chivas heavy?  

Like Johnny Black  

Royal Sulute 21 years old 

Ballantine. 10 and 25 year old

If I'm going to have a drink while I'm out and I'm at a place that has single malts available, that would be my preference.  My typical order is either Oban or Glenfiddich 18, neat.  I only indulge a few times a year though, so it's a pretty rare treat. 

I've got a bunch of different bottles at home including the Oban (14, Little Bay, & 18), Macallan (12, Cask Strength, & Rare Cask), Glenfiddich (12 & 18), Lagavulin 16, Glenmorangie 18 and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.  Most were gifts, some were things I picked up while travelling for work.  Since I very rarely drink the collection kinda grew to where it is now.

Really like Ardbeg. Smokey but not too smokey like Laphroaig.  I tried some bargain blended Grants with some liquid peat smoke added and it was pretty good as an alternative bevy.

On 2/23/2019 at 9:50 PM, jolly mon said:

Picked up a bottle of Monkey Shoulder for $35.

It's suprisingly good for a blend. Way better than Johnny Black or Dewers in my opinion.

Still, certanly not an Ardbeg, Laphraig, Macallan or Lavagulin. If you must mix it (yes... I know), this is a good choice. Chilled it and tossed in a spash of DiSerrono for Godfathers after some homemade pizzas.  They were an appropriate after dinner drink to acompany the pizzas.

JD