ChuckieP

Will this mild winter mean a strong early striper bite, if so how early?

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, JRT said:

Has there been any new cuts or breaches this year around Chatham?

I dont think so. Though I havent personally checked.

We havent had even one legit noreaster this entire winter(which is a pretty rare stat, according to meteorologists)

17 hours ago, BrianBM said:

I'm betting on an early spring and few fish. Not just in Mass, but the whole striper coast. 

We'll be doing sea robin and bergall tournaments soon enough.  Or are they cunners in Mass?

Choggies bud choggies...........

gray,skiing is always good,its been a long season already,we have had several warm freeze cylcles but lots of snow as well. another 2 months before i start thinking of fishing

5 hours ago, robc22 said:

Choggies bud choggies...........

I thought choggies were killies?

Damn, but you Massachusetts folks talk funny. 

2 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

They do make for some great chowder no matter the size

And that's an upside. If it's remotely edible, I'll eat it. 

18 mins ago, BrianBM said:

I thought choggies were killies?

choggies are cunners are bergals.  same fish.  if you can get some large enough to fillet, they make a good portuguese "provincetown style" fish soup... different than chowder.

killies are those fat salt water "minnows" that fill up your crab traps :) aka mummichogs.

10 hours ago, nicknotsebastian said:

choggies are cunners are bergals.  same fish.  if you can get some large enough to fillet, they make a good portuguese "provincetown style" fish soup... different than chowder.

killies are those fat salt water "minnows" that fill up your crab traps :) aka mummichogs.

What he posted:howdy:

12 hours ago, nicknotsebastian said:

Most of the local bait shops used to refer to them as "chubs". 

42 mins ago, snookster said:

Most of the local bait shops used to refer to them as "chubs". 

If Brian is old enough, ALL the tackle shops on Long Island used to sell "live killies" (AKA: mummi's, chubs, etc.) for fluke bait. Then, boxes/packages of sand eels took over in the 80's. Now it's pretty much "use what you can find" because it's harder and harder to get what you want. For "sheer numbers" though, nothing beats large, live killies for fluke bait. They just can't say no and they gulp it down so fast it's hard for them to miss the hook.....

16 hours ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

gray,skiing is always good,its been a long season already,we have had several warm freeze cylcles but lots of snow as well. another 2 months before i start thinking of fishing

yeah weather has definitely been weird this year. Wish I had the coin to go out west because they are getting dumped on big time. 

On 2/24/2019 at 9:08 AM, jason colby said:

If Brian is old enough, ALL the tackle shops on Long Island used to sell "live killies" (AKA: mummi's, chubs, etc.) for fluke bait. Then, boxes/packages of sand eels took over in the 80's. Now it's pretty much "use what you can find" because it's harder and harder to get what you want. For "sheer numbers" though, nothing beats large, live killies for fluke bait. They just can't say no and they gulp it down so fast it's hard for them to miss the hook.....

Brian is old enough. And I think that if I could find a big source of large killies, all season long, I'd buy a boat and collect them and be rich.  :)

On 2/22/2019 at 7:15 PM, ChuckieP said:

How early will the bite start with this mild winter?

Woah there Punxsatawny... Too early to say that yet. In my superstitious brain that's not a thing we say quite yet. And never say "looks like the wind won't blow today" on the boat. And if you catch a fish first cast you just killed your shot at a good day fishing.  Don't egg mother nature on or you'll catch your first bass mid June ;)