Dive knife, Shears, Rescue hook or Trilobite for self rescue?

2 hours ago, atv223 said:

I'm a bit active on the Spyderco forum.  Probably 2 or 3 times a year, someone stirs up the idea of a sprint run of them of something.  Sal has commented it was an expensive model to make and didn't sell particularly well, hence why they discontinued it.  Though the last time it got brought up, Sal seemed more interested and people are clamoring for one made with LC200N.

Dumb/ serious question question - why do Spyderco's have such fervent support?  tons of knife manufacturers out there, non with the cult following of Spyderco's as evidenced by that very active forum.

9 hours ago, Cpalms said:

Dumb/ serious question question - why do Spyderco's have such fervent support?  tons of knife manufacturers out there, non with the cult following of Spyderco's as evidenced by that very active forum.

It's a good question.  My guess is that its a combination of things with them:

• They were a pioneer in the folding knife industry, the first to add clips and a one handed opening method.
  • The founder and his son, the Glesser's, Sal and Eric, are very personally involved in the business at all the shows, designing knives and connecting with customers.  Sal personally greets every new member to the forum and regularly participates.  You can feel is love the the product.
  • Great quality and both useful and artful designs.
  • The regularly partner with custom knife designers bringing their unique knives to a production level.
  • They are constantly introducing new designs, keeping it interesting.  They often experiment with some far out stuff.
  • To further the above, there seems to be an endless array of sprints and exclusive that keeps collectors clamoring.  Getting in on some of those is like trying to buy hot concert tickets with knives selling out in minutes.
  • They are absolutely the leader in using new and different steels.  This is something that appeals to a segment of the market that no other knife maker is doing.  Think about this thread, Spyderco is prominent here because no other knife maker is making corrosion proof knives with these Nitrogen bases steels.  Even for those that have experimented with a similar steel, there my have been 1 model that didn't last long in the lineup.  Spyderco has had innumerable number of models made of these steels and they keep developing them.

So I think you have a company that has a long history, stays true to business, engage both customer and designers alike, while constantly pushing the boundaries of material and designs.

I went through a brief knife collecting phase (thank god it was brief, right after my custom cue collecting phase)...the only knives out of a couple hundred I kept were a handful of Spydercos. They make a blade for everyone. 

The FRN handled classics like the Delica...to me the perfect EDC knife. The Dragonfly Salt is my kayak knife, and I carry a little ladybug on my keychain. They really find that balance of utility and design. The Dragonfly is a tiny knife that fills your hand perfectly.  

14 hours ago, Cpalms said:

They make a spectacular product.

They very high quality...materials, craftsmanship, function

They offer more blade steels than anyone else.  From wood to lcn200  (and they offer steels that nobody else offers.)

And with the different steels they offer differnt grinds.

They're priced reasonably.

Readily accessible.

They look cool

The hole in the blade vs thumb stud is great and never fails.

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

4 hours ago, atv223 said:

• They were a pioneer in the folding knife industry, the first to add clips and a one handed opening method.
  • The founder and his son, the Glesser's, Sal and Eric, are very personally involved in the business at all the shows, designing knives and connecting with customers.  Sal personally greets every new member to the forum and regularly participates.  You can feel is love the the product.
  • The regularly partner with custom knife designers bringing their unique knives to a production level.
  • They are constantly introducing new designs, keeping it interesting.  They often experiment with some far out stuff.
  • To further the above, there seems to be an endless array of sprints and exclusive that keeps collectors clamoring.  Getting in on some of those is like trying to buy hot concert tickets with knives selling out in minutes.
  • They are absolutely the leader in using new and different steels.  This is something that appeals to a segment of the market that no other knife maker is doing.  Think about this thread, Spyderco is prominent here because no other knife maker is making corrosion proof knives with these Nitrogen bases steels.  Even for those that have experimented with a similar steel, there my have been 1 model that didn't last long in the lineup.  Spyderco has had innumerable number of models made of these steels and they keep developing them.

So I think you have a company that has a long history, stays true to business, engage both customer and designers alike, while constantly pushing the boundaries of material and designs.

Great post! thank you.  I love companies that really care about and indulge their hardcore users.  

Just ordered the Enuff Salt serated, doesn't get much love on the Spyderco forum - but looks perfect for me.

1 hour ago, atv223 said:

:-(

I've seen em go for over 400 which is insane.

And worth noting...there are different versions out there....not just sharp or blunt...

There are high polish and grain.....

Never saw that mentioned anywhere else.

Edited by scoobydoo

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

I've lost 2 Spyderco Knives in the ocean so far.  None while fishing oddly enough, but I've don't want to lose anymore, so after some experimentation, here is where i ended up.  A short piece of 95 Paracord, tied to a key-chain float and the knife.  I bought a pack of 10 key-chain floats off of Amazon and the Paracord from Hobby Lobby.  Seems to work well and I can easily untie the knot from the knife when not needed.

6cQAact.jpg

Edited by atv223

On 10/24/2019 at 6:06 AM, atv223 said:

Another question if you don't mind - where is the best place to buy Spyderco's that are no longer in production or long since sold out sprint run knives?  Or just look on eBay with the normal Ebay caveats.

An Endura in Aogami Super Blue steel is calling my name.

On 2/22/2019 at 2:30 PM, youngsalt said:

Wanted to get a discussion going on a blade for self rescue on a kayak.

I currently carry a folder attached to my vest for general use (making bait etc) and a blunt tipped dive knife (spyderco caspian salt) as a rescue knife. I carried a trilobite for a little while but I really had to baby it to keep the blade from rusting. I've never tried a rescue hook like those from benchmade or a pair of shears (sea snips or otherwise). What is your preference for a safety device and why? 

I generally don’t carry a knife, I have 2 pfds though. What benefit would a knife have if you sink?

42 mins ago, fvgourami3 said:

I generally don’t carry a knife, I have 2 pfds though. What benefit would a knife have if you sink?

Captain Ahab wished he had a knife during his last moments ...

Any society that charges it's own children for knowledge, is doomed to fail.

Whilst intelligence is not affected by geography, it is influenced by education, opportunity and drive.   

Now is the time to change our attitude towards blues, next year may well be too late (Somebody listened :th: )
Member of the Yellow Eyed Devils
May you never have to fish to live, rather live to fish.

9 mins ago, Africaster said:

Captain Ahab wished he had a knife during his last moments ...

In all seriousness.... To me it sounds like just another accessory to spend a hefty sum on ( based on the suggestions above) that some 8 dollar stainless steel kitchen scissors could do. I think you run more of risk of cutting your self anyway but to each your own. Take the one thirty they want for that silly yellow knife and buy a radio. Don’t be Rambo and accidentally cut your head off, some of those knives look lethal in rocking seas,

Edited by fvgourami3

14 hours ago, fvgourami3 said:

In all seriousness.... To me it sounds like just another accessory to spend a hefty sum on ( based on the suggestions above) that some 8 dollar stainless steel kitchen scissors could do. I think you run more of risk of cutting your self anyway but to each your own. Take the one thirty they want for that silly yellow knife and buy a radio. Don’t be Rambo and accidentally cut your head off, some of those knives look lethal in rocking seas,

To each their own indeed, that's why I started this thread in the beginning, to weigh the pros and cons of each device. I did mention shears in the title and body of the post and know that a lot of scuba divers carry sea snips instead of dive knives. 

In regards to the "8 dollar kitchen scissors" that you mention, have you found a pair that holds up at the hinge? The main complaint I hear with shears and scissors are that the blades last but the hinge will rust.

I think there's a couple threads on safety buried somewhere here. I personally carry a standard horizon with a personal locator beacon on my vest but that's beyond the scope of this thread. 

On 10/27/2019 at 9:23 PM, Cpalms said:

Another question if you don't mind - where is the best place to buy Spyderco's that are no longer in production or long since sold out sprint run knives?  Or just look on eBay with the normal Ebay caveats.

An Endura in Aogami Super Blue steel is calling my name.

eBay, Facebook Spyderco groups and bladeforum has a great for-sale site. The problem with finding a particular knife is that you have to watch these sites like a lunatic or you’ll miss it. I looked for a knife for a year and missed it on bladeforum, I posted a looking to buy on FB and got two people willing to sell me one. Good luck.