youngsalt

Dive knife, Shears, Rescue hook or Trilobite for self rescue?

82 posts in this topic

I may give this Spyderco ‘Ark’ neck knife a try as a vest knife. I prefer a sharp tip, and the H-1 steel is hard to beat in the salt.55E8E91A-3A73-4566-9BC3-1C20266EB41D.jpeg.7224b7fcaf7548ad8c051270700d4ab2.jpeg

Just now, cheech said:

I may give this Spyderco ‘Ark’ neck knife a try as a vest knife. I prefer a sharp tip, and the H-1 steel is hard to beat in the salt.55E8E91A-3A73-4566-9BC3-1C20266EB41D.jpeg.7224b7fcaf7548ad8c051270700d4ab2.jpeg

Looks like a nice knife. Maybe a good bait knife that is portable. 

This knife can work on a vest. The knife is small, but the design makes for good purchase and control. It’s sharp, and the Japanese H-1 steel is rustproof. The sheath clicks loud and holds it fast. 

760B618E-4B91-4935-B938-817F985C242A.jpeg

96B52679-FD53-47CF-A295-B45237304D6F.jpeg

20 hours ago, LSP552 said:

I kinda want one of these.  Spyderco Enough Salt

7673CCDF-779B-4230-994D-421F0A5A7848.png

I'm with you.  Unfortunately, I just lost another Spyderco Dragonfly Salt in the ocean so I kind of want to replace that first.  I'd also like to know how well this sheath retains the knife.

17 mins ago, atv223 said:

I'm with you.  Unfortunately, I just lost another Spyderco Dragonfly Salt in the ocean so I kind of want to replace that first.  I'd also like to know how well this sheath retains the knife.

Sorry for your loss......

That’s my only reservation and I’d have to actually handle one before making it a yak knife.

Thanks for the responses everyone! Glad to see we got some mileage out of this thread, hope to keep it going. 

So so it seems that dive knives are the overwhelming favorite rescue blade with the occasional person carrying a rescue hook. I’m surprised there wasn’t more mention of sea snips or other types of shears. Seems like they could do a decent job on cord while also cutting baitfish and crabs. 

Really like the look of that CRKT bear claw, serrated and curved suggest that it’s really designed to cut fibrous material and that finger hole should reduce the chance of dropping it substantially. I might have to poke around and see what steel they use for it. 

Had a gerber river shorty and NRS pilot in the past. Left the shorty in the hull for a week and it rusted badly, dropped the pilot on a jetty and lost it. User error on both occasions but both seemed fine before their demise...