youngsalt

Dive knife, Shears, Rescue hook or Trilobite for self rescue?

82 posts in this topic

8 mins ago, kype said:

a knife that isnt serrated will cut throw anything quicker then a knife that is serrated. 

A bunch of reviews on some knife forums favor the fully serrated salt knife. Some guys have more than one salt and they seem to just really like the serrated model. I still haven’t seen it in person to be honest but it seems like a really cool and well built blade that doesn’t weigh very much and will get the job done as an every day carry. 

Serrations are nice for going through stuff...

i like to practice cutting using serrations and the hooks to cut paracords and bungees 

15 hours ago, kype said:

a knife that isnt serrated will cut throw anything quicker then a knife that is serrated. 

That’s a false statement. 

12 mins ago, Africaster said:

That’s a bold statement.  Substantiate  plse :th:

The original statement "a knife that isnt serrated will cut throw anything quicker then a knife that is serrated. " is so broad as to be provably false. If that were the case no one would ever have created a serrated a knife. I can testify under oath that my serrated bread knife cuts bread better than a plain knife.

I have some scissors that are made for cutting kevlar strands that are serrated.  When new they would cut the tag end off a knot tied with ease.

Now they are dull and im trying to sharpen them.

The serrations are very small and they are hard to sharpen. 

1 hour ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I have some scissors that are made for cutting kevlar strands that are serrated.  When new they would cut the tag end off a knot tied with ease.

Now they are dull and im trying to sharpen them.

The serrations are very small and they are hard to sharpen. 

Sharpening those are tough...

ideally you sharpen the bevel face of a scissor, never the flat face, but with those micro serrations, maybe a jewelers file?

2 hours ago, Africaster said:

That’s a bold statement.  Substantiate  plse :th:

I thought you'd never ask :-)

First and foremost, people who make the statement that a plain edge (PE) knife will cut through anything faster then a serrated edge (SE) knife, must likely haven't use a SE knife that has been sharpened to the same level as the PE they are comparing to.  The reason is, the vast majority of people don't have the equipment to put a razor edge on a serrated knife.  (for that matter, I personally know very few people who can even sharpen a PE knife well).  I've spent the last 2+ years working on sharpening SE knives after my wife bought me a SE Spyderco Pacific Salt.  It became my mission to learn how to Sharpen that knife and down the rabbit hole I went.  My Pacific Salt with cut up a whole bunker like a laser! So that aside, there are certainly places a where one excels vs the other.

Steak knives are almost always SE, but that's not because you want a SE to cut a steak, it's because you are cutting a steak on a ceramic or glass plate.  If you use a PE knife on a plate, the cutting edge will directly hit the plate and in one meal the knife will be dull, regardless of what the steal is made from.  There isn't a steel that exists that's harder then a ceramic dinner plate.  The points on the SE edge knife will hit the plate first, protecting the actual sharp cutting edge from hitting the plate and getting dull.  If I'm cutting meat on a cutting board, I'll always use a PE knife for a smooth clean cut.

Bread knives are SE for a different reason.  PE knives can slip off a hard bread crust or require too much downward force to get the PE to bite, thereby crushing the bread.  The SE points will pierce and help start the cut, without a lot of downward pressure.  Same thing with a tomato.  If I have just sharpened razor edge on a kitchen knife, they'll cut bread and tomatoes just as well, but get a bit of wear on them and the SE will outperform for the long run.

This "slipping" that PE knives can exhibit on hard, slippery surfaces is exactly why SE knifes work better on fibrous things like rope and why most rescue knives are SE.

14 mins ago, atv223 said:

I've spent the last 2+ years working on sharpening SE knives after my wife bought me a SE Spyderco Pacific Salt.  It became my mission to learn how to Sharpen that knife and down the rabbit hole I went. 

Do tell! I usually just steel or stone the non-serrated side. I do have small round diamond files and hones, but this is easier and seems to work reasonably well.

Far as that bunker, I've started just using my $8 Harbor Freight HD scissors for that, as well as cutting up squid or crabs. Figured if they can go through the throat of a large blue they can cut up bunker without needing a cutting surface. They also do OK on mono and braid. My knife stays on the PFD.

image_13106.jpg

Non serrated knife are still serrated, but on a micro level. A very sharp straight edge knife will go through a bunker body including bone like butter, but the problem is that sharpness won't stay the same for very long. Serrated edge on the other hand, can maintain that cutting power for a very long time.

So can I take a honing stick and mount that on a drill press and sharpe. A SE, praying that I come back with all my 10 fingers?

1 hour ago, kinghong1970 said:

So can I take a honing stick and mount that on a drill press and sharpe. A SE, praying that I come back with all my 10 fingers?

No, you need to buy another tool! Happy day! You want a die filing machine to get reciprocating rather than rotary motion. Or get an air powered filer. I loves me air tools. They're probably done originally on a wheel so large, like 12", that you can't detect the slight concavity in the serration cut.

Die filer

Die-Filer.png