youngsalt

Dive knife, Shears, Rescue hook or Trilobite for self rescue?

82 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, BillZ said:

Plenty of holes on that sheath......... Remove the clip & make a belt loop.

Take a pc of 2" wide nylon webbing & with a hot nail, melt some mount holes thru the webbing where you need them and mount it to the sheath....  rivets or flat head screws & nylock nuts will work.

knife.PNG.ebf57506d214c800a4e003882c3fe6b8.PNG

That's actually a good idea, I'm gonna try that. Thanks.

7 hours ago, cheech said:

I prefer a knife with a point, is that allowed. I said without MY pfd, ie- trips and travel where I’m using THEIR pfd.

Gotcha bout the pfd, it seemed shocking a paddler of your experience going without! As for tip, there's good reasons many of these 'rescue' knives are blunt.

So the Gerber doesn't tend to rust too much? Coat the blade in thick grease once a season or so and it should be good? I've been meaning to get something for emergencies as well, but can't stomach $100+ for something I'll hopefully never use. I have other knives for everyday use. 

19 hours ago, gellfex said:

Umm......... 2 points. That knife has a pointy end that sucks if you're trying to free yourself from a tight entrapment, and WHAT kayak trips without a PFD???? Bad Cheech!

My Caspian has a blunt tip.

If you want an amazing knife for very little $ look into getting a Morakniv. They have a lot of sizes and fixed blades to choose from but is quality Swedish steel for very cheap $ and comes with a functional sheath that should work well for diving. 

i usually just carry one of those cheap bait knives you see at tackle store, thick stainless blade, hard plastic sheath. i just regrind the edge to get it sharper, if i loose it, its only like 5$

The benchmade 112 H20 fixed is a great knife to carry for kayaking. Super durable, and it has the blunt tip which I like plus the sheath fits well on a vest. Only downside is it's pricey. 

Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 7.53.01 PM.png

On 3/8/2019 at 8:34 PM, NHAngler said:

If you want an amazing knife for very little $ look into getting a Morakniv. They have a lot of sizes and fixed blades to choose from but is quality Swedish steel for very cheap $ and comes with a functional sheath that should work well for diving. 

I have a few of them great knifes. Also they just came out with a floating blunt tip knife just for kayaking and diving. 

35 mins ago, Metal_Z said:

I have a few of them great knifes. Also they just came out with a floating blunt tip knife just for kayaking and diving. 

... seems a bit oxymoronish ... a diver having a floating rescue knife ... what'll he do if he's tangled on a wreck, fumbles ... and then watches his rescue knife float up and away from him? :dismay: 

7 hours ago, Africaster said:

... seems a bit oxymoronish ... a diver having a floating rescue knife ... what'll he do if he's tangled on a wreck, fumbles ... and then watches his rescue knife float up and away from him? :dismay: 

:laugh:

7 hours ago, Africaster said:

Very true

1 min ago, Tbta02 said:

got one of these , there salt water resistant and can open with one hand its an auto made by spyderco

The most common wisdom is you don't want a folding "emergency knife". For ex: if you're entrapped and not getting air, you really don't want to have to think about that thumb flick, or of fumbling it while doing so, even if it seems a snap normally. I want to be able to just grab it from it's sheath on my PFD.

It's tough, opinions vary, and for most of us they're hypothetical, thank God. I think I've only ever been involved in one "emergency knife situation", and the guy on point didn't have one to cut free the girl whose spray skirt was snagged on a tree. I was a novice and it was a scary situation. She was half out of her boats cockpit on a swift river and the current was trying to snap her femur.

Anybody try one of these? For $17 it looks like a good option.

Cuda 1-1/2" Titanium Bonded Rescue/Safety Knife with Sheath

51zbqQ+mLGL.jpg

dba74983-6b8d-45cb-abc9-c215db8b5171._CR