youngsalt

Dive knife, Shears, Rescue hook or Trilobite for self rescue?

31 posts in this topic

Wanted to get a discussion going on a blade for self rescue on a kayak.

I currently carry a folder attached to my vest for general use (making bait etc) and a blunt tipped dive knife (spyderco caspian salt) as a rescue knife. I carried a trilobite for a little while but I really had to baby it to keep the blade from rusting. I've never tried a rescue hook like those from benchmade or a pair of shears (sea snips or otherwise). What is your preference for a safety device and why? 

I like to have a blunt tip in a sheathed that doesn’t require anything to press or squeeze. The Gerber River Shorty seems the way to go. 

I wish Spyderco would come out with another PTD knife, but the caspian didn’t sell well so I don’t think it will happen. Though the Spyderco Enuff Salt could work. 

Whatever holds and edge and won't rust 

Rust attacks the fine edge first and a dull tool is a worthless tool

If it's just a rescue or emergency type of knife that does not come out of the sheath easily, put a thick layer of heavy grease on the knife and inside the sheath. The kind of grease that's thick like peanut butter and does not emulsify easily with water.  I have a benchmade rescue hook knife that's hibernating in thick grease, inside it's sheath. no sign of rust. 

1 hour ago, Sudsy said:

Whatever holds and edge and won't rust 

Rust attacks the fine edge first and a dull tool is a worthless tool

If corrosion resistance is you're #1 criteria, go with a Spydeco Salt Series knife made with H1 steel.  It's completely corrosion-proof in saltwater.  I realize that's a bold claim, but it's factual. 

I’ve had a Spidy Caspian salt on the vest ten years and it’s totally rust free, but the H1 takes a little work to sharpen. A ceramic paring knife is an inexpensive option for a rust free blade. For trips without my PFD a neck knife is  real handy.

F27F1EA0-3A2C-4D83-88E8-977485AF2762.jpeg

I have a ginso knife I use it for both surf and kayak fishing. I made a leather sheath made from old leather welding gloves and glued together with Plumbing Goop. Does not rust and the simple sheath glued together with goop does not come apart.  If I loose it no big deal.

I have a titanium wenoka squeeze lock blunt tip knife.

Like ckogel, i also use this knife for surf & kayaking......

Positives;

Fixed blade,  easy,  dependable unsheathing, doesn't rust.

Ive only had to use it once in an emergency while wet suiting several yrs back, it was easily accessed and used with one hand, didn't have to unsheath it than unfold the blade like you would with a folding knife,  everything went smoothly.  I don't have a lanyard attached to it. 

Negatives;

Titanium is a soft,  dense material so it will not hold an extreme edge using it even after a few times like some of the other excellent blade material suggestions in this thread.

I simply give it a wipe on a stone after i use it... .....it works fine for an emergency knife & is dependable.

I'm not planning on replacing it but if i had to re-buy, i would get the same type of knife & sheath design but with a different blade type. 

rescuetech-wenoka-squeeze-lock-dive-knife-10.gif.91fbcc3a760b78fd29ce9950ba9ba6c1.gif

On 2/22/2019 at 7:15 PM, cheech said:

I’ve had a Spidy Caspian salt on the vest ten years and it’s totally rust free, but the H1 takes a little work to sharpen. A ceramic paring knife is an inexpensive option for a rust free blade. For trips without my PFD a neck knife is  real handy.

Umm......... 2 points. That knife has a pointy end that sucks if you're trying to free yourself from a tight entrapment, and WHAT kayak trips without a PFD???? Bad Cheech!

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 2/22/2019 at 2:30 PM, youngsalt said:

Wanted to get a discussion going on a blade for self rescue on a kayak.

I currently carry a folder attached to my vest for general use (making bait etc) and a blunt tipped dive knife (spyderco caspian salt) as a rescue knife. I carried a trilobite for a little while but I really had to baby it to keep the blade from rusting. I've never tried a rescue hook like those from benchmade or a pair of shears (sea snips or otherwise). What is your preference for a safety device and why? 

Look at the Spyderco Enuff Salt. It’s made of h1 steel, shouldn’t rust, and is razor friggin sharp. This thing will slice down to bone very sharp. I carry it for safety surf fishing, kayaking myself. 

I’ve had mine for about a year, I really like it. My only issue is being a fixed blade, the hard shealth it comes in, it’s clip isn’t that of the width of my surf belt, so I end up attaching it to my surf bag. There are other shealth options, and the clip is changeable, I need to find a bigger clip.view@2x.png?v=1449262051 

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/FB31YL/Spyderco-Enuff-Sheepfoot-Salt/824

Edited by MattieG

8 hours ago, gellfex said:

Umm......... 2 points. That knife has a pointy end that sucks if you're trying to free yourself from a tight entrapment, and WHAT kayak trips without a PFD???? Bad Cheech!

I prefer a knife with a point, is that allowed. I said without MY pfd, ie- trips and travel where I’m using THEIR pfd.

11 hours ago, MattieG said:

Look at the Spyderco Enuff Salt

I’ve had mine for about a year, I really like it. My only issue is being a fixed blade, the hard shealth it comes in, it’s clip isn’t that of the width of my surf belt, so I end up attaching it to my surf bag. There are other shealth options, and the clip is changeable, I need to find a bigger clip.

Plenty of holes on that sheath......... Remove the clip & make a belt loop.

Take a pc of 2" wide nylon webbing & with a hot nail, melt some mount holes thru the webbing where you need them and mount it to the sheath....  rivets or flat head screws & nylock nuts will work.

knife.PNG.ebf57506d214c800a4e003882c3fe6b8.PNG

I did this exact thing when i wanted to mount my Wenoka Squeeze lock knife horizontally on my belt.....

As an option, you can just remove the clip, melt holes thru your belt webbing & bolt the sheath to your belt...

Regards...

Edited by BillZ

I’ve have the spyder salt for about 4 years on my surf belt, not one bit of rust and It never gets washed, still very sharp 

Edited by Striper46