Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Delta17

704Z spool question

15 posts in this topic

I thought I'd seen a taller spool for the 704, A search turned up nothing. Am I crazy? (not that this would be the cause...)

Curious if there is a spool that the line would come off easier.

Thanks.

There is not a taller spool it would be impossible for the spool to be loaded with line if it were taller , the spool can only travel up and down the set distance that it is now!

On 2/22/2019 at 2:54 PM, Delta17 said:

I thought there might be something for more distance/capacity.

I'll keep on going as is. Thanks

If you haven't already, switch from mono to braid. You'll get both, more distance and plenty of capacity. 704's like Berkley Fireline, original or crystal.

On 2/22/2019 at 2:50 PM, shark lobster said:

There is not a taller spool it would be impossible for the spool to be loaded with line if it were taller , the spool can only travel up and down the set distance that it is now!

Lister to this guy. Nobody knows 704s like he does.

On 3/6/2019 at 9:59 PM, CDubbs said:

If you haven't already, switch from mono to braid. You'll get both, more distance and plenty of capacity. 704's like Berkley Fireline, original or crystal.

. Although the 704 reel is a pre-braid reel, it loves the smoothness of Fireline. It is a fused line, smoother than a true braid, not quite as limp, and stands up to abrasion better than true braid. Costs more but it remains fish-able a good long time.

5 hours ago, shark lobster said:

To kind bill how you doing buddy

Good enough I guess. Still haven't hit the salt yet. I'm aiming for my annual Go to the Canal and not Catch any Fish trip in June.

I'm thinking Tuesday, June 25. I make a day out of it. Hit the fishing pier at Scussett before dawn, fish a couple hours, go for breakfast at Leo's, then cross the bridge and take a nice drive out to Hyannis for the hell of it.

On 10/17/2019 at 11:18 AM, KennebecJake said:

New to braid and wondering how long does the 30# fireline remain "fishable"?

For a long time, the more you use it the better it gets. It's starts to soften up with use, starts to fray a bit, I think that's when it's at it's best for casting/distance. Of course clip off a little from the tag end once in a while as needed. You can also reverse it on the spool after each season, and you'll get many seasons out of it.....under normal circumstances.