DoorGunner

If you use the two cone minnow trap.

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Posted these pics in another thread but figured they need to be here also..

Our minnow supplier in the summer works his pots about twenty miles from our dock. Our usual delivery is about three gallons of minnows every other day and he delivers them in a 55 gallon barrel of water then scooped out with a net and dumped into a bucket then dumped in our 100 gallon where a pump constantly supplys new water from off our dock. As soon as I pay him I take a whole bunker and cut both sides down to expose the flesh. Then I hang it in the tank so it doesn't just fall to the bottom. These minnows have no fear and after all that transporting, netting and dumping they are ready to go piranha on the bunker. Within a few minutes this is what happens.

5c63a09ec0f92_005(3).JPG.87105a4b0b2537e02f4979b58a471290.JPG

5c63a0ba7f4e1_004(5).JPG.5608c20ff671d7cc7956c9d77072c8c1.JPG

006.JPG.ce12af009ef012d6d2930157a70f1504.JPG

This was a butterfish that someone accidentally dropped into the tank. All I did was walk into the shop to get the net to see if I could find it. After a few minutes.

5c63a158e40a9_004(3).JPG.89863ba7beba1a9717c458377f6fa8f5.JPG

Not kidding when I say that if these things reached about ten pounds that we couldn't go in the water.    

Posted (edited) · Report post

12 hours ago, DoorGunner said:

Sorry if I got carried away here but they are fascinating.     

Man, dont apologize!  Great posts.  I bet in the future they get a zillion hits from people googling stuff about minnow traps etc. 

... definitely fascinating critters. 

Edited by 55555s

All minnows reproduce regardless of size The jumbo females just produce more eggs than the smaller ones. Actually got to watch two of the jumbos do it in one of my aquariums. They were doing their little dance near the bottom of the aquarium that had a mixture of sand and gravel. Then right against the glass the female shook and vibrated her tail section and dug into the sand and gravel about a half inch and deposited about twenty eggs and the male was right next to her and fertilized them then they moved off to another area and repeated the process. Not putting all their eggs in one basket I guess. This was a long time ago but I believe it was the next day or so that the eggs hatched and they knew to hide right away in the gaps of the gravel for protection. If mom or dad was there they would have just gobbled them up. Neat to watch.

Not every minnow reaches jumbo size so I guess it's just in their genes for the jumbos. Always wondered if you wanted to farm raise these guys and only used the jumbos. Would their young grow faster and reach marketable size faster.

One last shot. Here was a bunker I left in the bait tank after I fed the minnows one evening. Next morning I went to hang a new bunker and found this. Nasty little critters.

DSCN0609.jpg.2907df8bb46183c6deddf70defd5ed1f.jpg  

9 hours ago, rockyoutdoors said:

Great post my very old friend. So when you and Moses were hanging together down by the river did he part the water for you?

Nah he just sat behind the counter drooling and babbled something about Sam's Pizza!

11 hours ago, DoorGunner said:

Posted these pics in another thread but figured they need to be here also..

Our minnow supplier in the summer works his pots about twenty miles from our dock. Our usual delivery is about three gallons of minnows every other day and he delivers them in a 55 gallon barrel of water then scooped out with a net and dumped into a bucket then dumped in our 100 gallon where a pump constantly supplys new water from off our dock. As soon as I pay him I take a whole bunker and cut both sides down to expose the flesh. Then I hang it in the tank so it doesn't just fall to the bottom. These minnows have no fear and after all that transporting, netting and dumping they are ready to go piranha on the bunker. Within a few minutes this is what happens.

5c63a09ec0f92_005(3).JPG.87105a4b0b2537e02f4979b58a471290.JPG

5c63a0ba7f4e1_004(5).JPG.5608c20ff671d7cc7956c9d77072c8c1.JPG

006.JPG.ce12af009ef012d6d2930157a70f1504.JPG

This was a butterfish that someone accidentally dropped into the tank. All I did was walk into the shop to get the net to see if I could find it. After a few minutes.

5c63a158e40a9_004(3).JPG.89863ba7beba1a9717c458377f6fa8f5.JPG

Not kidding when I say that if these things reached about ten pounds that we couldn't go in the water.    

Makes you wonder what one could if if it was about 12 inches 

7 hours ago, Rageboat said:

Nah he just sat behind the counter drooling and babbled something about Sam's Pizza!

Back in the 80's a friend of mine purchased a small marina because the price was so low but it needed work. He put the work into it and changed it around. Knew nothing about fishing or bait and tackle but some of us tried to help. I supplied him with minnows and one day told him what to do if he needed them but couldn't get in touch with me. He had a small tidal creek that ran right next to his bulkhead and I explained that he could catch some there till I got to him. He had no clue so I went into his shop and took two minnow traps off the shelf. He didn't even know what they were. I tied some line on them and took two frozen bunker out of his freezer. Theywere frozen solid so all I could do was take a screw driver and scratch a few lines across the body to try to get some juices flowing then I tossed the traps into the creek.

We stood there talking for about twenty minutes and I could see a lot of minnows around the traps. We pulled them in and had a bunch of good size minnows. As I cleaned out the two traps I just opened them and dumped the minnows and bunker into a bucket. My friend picked up one of the bunker that was still about 95% frozen and stared at it. There was a little movement around it's arse and my friend tilted the bunker back and two minnows slid right out the bunkers arse. My friend looked at me and said, "They ate there way right up a frozen bunkers arse?" He looked at me and said "I will never go into saltwater again" Still laugh when I think about that day. 

Sorry. Wrong post quoted. 

Edited by DoorGunner

Some great stories  I’m so glad you shared them ??   I’ll be looking for you post from now on.  ccb 

I would like to see what the large minnows look like for size.  

Thanks again  for sharing ccb

Edited by ccb

I always had fun catching the bait, kind of made it more like the old timers did it. Never thought about pointing the holes in direction of the flow. I really enjoyed your story Door Gunner. Thanks for sharing.