Heavy Hooksetter

Diesel outboard

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

If I had a boat and money for an engine, id buy one in a heartbeat as long as the price wasn't crazy.

Diesels have more power through the whole operating range. id love to see actual numbers but wouldn't be surprised to see a 200 going through less than 5gph @wot.

From what I read their based off of Gm 2 stroke. We have em at work and, granted their 3000hp engines, but they run for weeks at a time between shutdowns. Rebuilt about every 10 years. Its everything else around the engine is be concerned about.

8 mins ago, i07nyc said:

From what I read their based off of Gm 2 stroke. We have em at work and, granted their 3000hp engines, but they run for weeks at a time between shutdowns. Rebuilt about every 10 years. Its everything else around the engine is be concerned about.

Lightweight and tweaked out hp/cube and I'm leary

On 2/21/2019 at 6:14 PM, Heavy Hooksetter said:

Nice Rod

With the boating industry hanging there power off the transom today. I believe this is the future, especially for the offshore vessels.

I'd rather have twin turbo diesel, than trip or quad gas outboards. There safe burning, fuel efficient, engines. This will be the offshore power of choice ounce again, in the not too distant future...:)

Lou 

1 hour ago, Lou T said:

Nice Rod

With the boating industry hanging there power off the transom today. I believe this is the future, especially for the offshore vessels.

I'd rather have twin turbo diesel, than trip or quad gas outboards. There safe burning, fuel efficient, engines. This will be the offshore power of choice ounce again, in the not too distant future...:)

Lou 

I expected them to be loud but,they are not.

I guess they have come a long way since days gone by.

in the vid he mentions40% better fuel economy I think.

bet they don't stink much either.

HH

13 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

I expected them to be loud but,they are not.

I guess they have come a long way since days gone by.

in the vid he mentions40% better fuel economy I think.

bet they don't stink much either.

HH

Years ago most the canyon runners where inboard diesel. Seen my first recent major boat show about four years ago, and was shocked to say the least; wondering where all the inboards where.

I agree Rod, 40% more fuel efficiency is incredible, and when your getting 6 mpg. with that BRIG people and the industry will take notice.

Thanks for posting that one

Lou