Quincy Flounder

Rate this topic

jason colby

2 hours ago, Mike said:

What's the netting like now? I think I might see a net rash on that fish on the right.

Mike-

I have not seen a definitive case of net rash yet this year! The past few years and last year in particular, we were seeing indications of net interactions with as high as 50% of all the fish we were getting where 10-20 years ago if I saw it once or twice in a season I complained about it bitterly!

I know that the draggers were getting flounder recently off Plymouth but the Boston Harbor stock seems to have made it into the harbor unmolested this year!

Edited by jason colby

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Dah seee said:

The winter flounder stock is really good at least here on the north shore Cape ann parts. I've been limiting out on flounders every trip and throwing back a bunch of small keepers. Even caught an inshore cod. 

I hope you agree that it is a lot better this year than the past few years. I believe this is directly related to the lack of "net rash" I have been seeing this year (marks on a fish after surviving interaction with a net) this year. The past few years I had been seeing net rash on 25-35% of all the fish caught in May indicating that the flounder had to go through far too many nets to get into the harbor. This year, most of the draggers are tied up and idle so the fish were able to make it inshore this time.

Also, on their way inshore in March and April they congregate to spawn and when they are full of eggs and sperm they yield the lowest amount of fillets percentage of the year. It's the most insane time of the year to kill flounder on so many levels and yet the state allows it. Don't they realize this is the last body of inshore winter flounder stock available anywhere on this planet? What are they thinking? I said to "state fishery managers"  only yesterday : "would it really be the end of the world to have the draggers NOT FISH For FLOUNDER in March and April every year?" They act like they don't understand the question!

"Coincidentally",  Today I caught the first case of net rash of 2020 (see pic)

052020netrash1.JPG

13 hours ago, jason colby said:

Well then, the laugh's on you! That is Jim, not me...

(I do not catch such nice fish, mine are much bigger. You have a tiny wiener.).

You sure are concerned about my wiener. Maybe you want to fondle it? Just a little?

The Magnificent Presence

14 hours ago, jason colby said:

I hope you agree that it is a lot better this year than the past few years. I believe this is directly related to the lack of "net rash" I have been seeing this year (marks on a fish after surviving interaction with a net) this year. The past few years I had been seeing net rash on 25-35% of all the fish caught in May indicating that the flounder had to go through far too many nets to get into the harbor. This year, most of the draggers are tied up and idle so the fish were able to make it inshore this time.

Also, on their way inshore in March and April they congregate to spawn and when they are full of eggs and sperm they yield the lowest amount of fillets percentage of the year. It's the most insane time of the year to kill flounder on so many levels and yet the state allows it. Don't they realize this is the last body of inshore winter flounder stock available anywhere on this planet? What are they thinking? I said to "state fishery managers"  only yesterday : "would it really be the end of the world to have the draggers NOT FISH For FLOUNDER in March and April every year?" They act like they don't understand the question!

"Coincidentally",  Today I caught the first case of net rash of 2020 (see pic)

052020netrash1.JPG

Good post. They understand the effing question, .do you think they give  eff about the rod and reel guy or the fishery?? The comms put $$ in pockets

Edited by Snaps