DoorGunner

Snow today and 50's tomorrow.

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Winter is has lost it's grip. Sure we get some nasty days well into March but we also get some great days. The freshwater fishing I've been doing has heated my brain into the new season mode and I'm loving it. On March 10th we turn the clocks and the sun sets at 7pm. On March 20th we welcome spring and the Southern Hemisphere is heading in the opposite direction. Screw them. 

Natures clock is running and the wildlife understands it. Already the ducks and geese are pairing up and chasing each other around ready for mating. On a lake on Monday doing some fishing and watched two swans swimming around forcing the ducks and geese to vacate their chosen nesting area. All the buds on trees for flowers and leaves that were in place last fall have almost doubled in size in the past few weeks and are ready for the spring bloom. Check your gardens and the spring bulbs are already up and ready. Look under leaf clutter and worms are back up and feeding.

Natures clock runs on the length of the day. Temps can vary wildly from year to year. In fact the news reported that on this day last year it hit 72. temps are to erratic for wildlife but today had the same amount of daylight as this day last year and thats how nature works.

Some of these birds like robins and red wing blackbirds do winter over though many do head south for the winter. Lately I have seen their numbers increase as they move in to take over prime nesting areas. My girlfriends house butts up against some woods and we have a feeder out there. Since early winter there have been about six or seven cardinals using the feeder daily. Now there are only two and they were the dominate ones who have chased the others out because this is where they will nest. By the end of March we will hear the music to fisherman that is the laughing gull call signaling that migratory fish will soon be back in town. I will be checking the meadow to see the first fresh shoots of grass poking through the salt marsh as the sun warms the ground. 

We may sit inside waiting for the 70's but nature is already in gear and the wildlife will always be that one step ahead of us.  

If you drive around the barrier islands you see the meadows covered with brown grasses. You will see sights like this where long grasses line the narrow feeder creeks. Safe rule of thumb on the meadow is short grass equals firm ground and long grass equals soft ground. If you take the time to look then pretty soon you will see the long grasses lining the creeks will suddenly vanish. As soon as the new shoots emerge the old dead stems fall out and float away with the tide where they decompose that begin to feed the plankton that in turn explode to feed all the baby fish and other critters. Early spring will show huge clumps of these dead grasses clogging boat slips and even some canals but they do serve a purpose. When you see the meadows and they look like they have been trimmed then you know all the new growth is coming out and spring is just that much closer as are the fish.

IMG_1607.JPG.af5c1eaa7a3521601bef0a7bebb922b5.JPG

IMG_1606.JPG.d77615e1b0a0c591c94ce6ef550a1ec1.JPG 

That's a fun fact for anyone who likes to keep an eye on the water, and appreciates the changing of the seasons, will be on the lookout!

Thanks.

The forever optimist you are sir. Very few of us stop or slow down enough to take in the nature and beauty that surrounds us but, you do which is a blessing to have.

One word of advice though, stay away from mirrors because then you will see the true ugly your friends must endure while in your company buddy. :eek:

21 mins ago, rockyoutdoors said:

The forever optimist you are sir. Very few of us stop or slow down enough to take in the nature and beauty that surrounds us but, you do which is a blessing to have.

One word of advice though, stay away from mirrors because then you will see the true ugly your friends must endure while in your company buddy. :eek:

Mommy always told me I was handsome.