dannyplug1

Fish finder recomendations

16 posts in this topic

I am considering purchasing a new fisfinder for my hobie outback.  I mainly fish in shallow water freshwater ponds salt water no deeper than 15’ .  I think the side view would be best.  I don’t need charts just a side view fish finder.  I was thinking of a budget of four or five hundred dollars.  Any ideas thanks Charlie.

Charlie

In my limited.experience, it's getting rare to have a unit which does NOT have GPS and charts.  The old Lowrance Hook series (as opposed to the new Hook2 series) had models without charting or GPS indicted by "X" at the end of the model number.  May or may not be true on the new series.  The new series however do include sidescan.  The Hook are the entry-level units...and great for most of us.  The Lowrance Ti units (as Rob English is selling above) are supposed to be very good. A serious step up from the Hooks. PM me if you wanna and I'll share my limited experience.  Just curious, why wouldn't you want charts to see contours of bottom?

11 hours ago, RobEnglish said:

The TI’s also have live sonar charts with an active Navionics card.

And Navionics cards, well...the navigational and contours data they contain, are far superior to the other type of cards that are sold with Lowrance units... the Cmap Coastal and Inland chips.

Charlie, having accurate one-foot or two-foot depth contours on a card...aling with your FPS location, is an immense help especially when used in conjunction with a good sonar/fish finder. Seeing the sonar image is only part of the picture.

4 mins ago, blackdogfish said:

And Navionics cards, well...the navigational and contours data they contain, are far superior to the other type of cards that are sold with Lowrance units... the Cmap Coastal and Inland chips.

Charlie, having accurate one-foot or two-foot depth contours on a card...aling with your FPS location, is an immense help especially when used in conjunction with a good sonar/fish finder. Seeing the sonar image is only part of the picture.

Don’t forget fishing at night or in the fog. I’ve have a couple trips where my GPS was my eyes. 

2 hours ago, RobEnglish said:

Don’t forget fishing at night or in the fog. I’ve have a couple trips where my GPS was my eyes. 

Agree 100%.   For me GPS is must have feature.  I just follow that pink line back home, especially at night.  Chart is also very useful, so you know the contour of the area you're in (in particular for a new area)

I think you'll get GPS and probably chart on most units with Side Imaging (which sounds SO cool)

On 2/26/2019 at 11:14 AM, RobEnglish said:

I’ve also dropped the price of my Ti5 to $325 if anyone is interested. 

If you dont mind me asking,

why you selling it ?

41 mins ago, Pma531 said:

What’s the difference between the Ti and Ti2? 

The Ti2 now has 3in1 Transducer with active imaging. I think you just get a better clearer image then the Ti units. The first image is from my Ti 5 and the second is from the Ti2 7. 

IMG_5661.PNG

IMG_5808.PNG