Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DAQ

Sydney Australia

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

It looks like I am going to be in Sydney for about a week next month. I'm hoping to get a guide for a day or two (if I can get one to answer me) but I will also have a lot of time to fish on my own.

Does anyone here have any information or contacts that would be helpful? As with any trip I take, I have been scouring the web researching fishing opportunities but I figure I should be able to scrape up some more info here.

TIA

Not sure what area are you going but my friend hired( exmouth fly fishing )a couple of years ago great outfitter i think the guy's name is jono shales

Justin Duggan is the best known fly guide in Sydney. I'd say try him first but there's a good chance he's booked already.

Cheers,

Graeme

5 hours ago, thaistick said:

Not sure what area are you going but my friend hired( exmouth fly fishing )a couple of years ago great outfitter i think the guy's name is jono shales

Jono Shales is good, but he's about 4500km away from Sydney. :D

Cheers,

Graeme

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, thaistick said:

Exmouth is Western Australia on the other side of the coast 2 hours flight above Perth. Fantastic destination and well worth a visit with great DIY and guided options. I was there a few weeks ago.

Sydney has some good fishing especially for a major city. Not sure when the Tuna turn up but a friend who used to live there used to catch busting Tuna before heading into the office. Not a bad life. The Aussies are great too and fishing mad.

Edited by JRT

I found this interview pretty interesting, definitely moved into the bucket list space for me

Edited by TimS
I’m sorry but we don’t allow commercial links here

7 hours ago, stormy monday said:

I found this interview pretty interesting, definitely moved into the bucket list space for me

Hi Tim, Did you actually read the link? I'd be interested to know exactly what you saw in there that was "commercial", what I saw was an interview with a film crew. Interview messaged to DAQ...

23 hours ago, thaistick said:

Never been to Australia but hear he's a stud.  He's definitely one of the top guys

19 hours ago, Hirdy said:

Justin Duggan is the best known fly guide in Sydney. I'd say try him first but there's a good chance he's booked already.

Cheers,

Graeme

Thanks. I have tried to contact Justin a couple of times but have not received a reply yet. Hope to hear form him.

1 hour ago, stormy monday said:

Hi Tim, Did you actually read the link? I'd be interested to know exactly what you saw in there that was "commercial", what I saw was an interview with a film crew. Interview messaged to DAQ...

Thanks for hooking me up, nice article and video. 

I often wondered about quarantine issues about what flies are allowed to be bought into another country and if it is still an issue. I would hate to loose a bunch of flies not made from synthetics. Just a random thought.

BFD,

So far so good with my own flies when I've travelled out of and back into Oz. If it's already a fly (i.e. not a pelt) then there doesn't seem to be any problems with SW flies. The customs guys do not like to see bucktail pelts though.

Cheers,

Graeme

Should be able to find flatheads, mulloway, and bluefish (taylor) off the sandy beaches, pelagics off the the outer headlands. I haven't fished that far south, but have spent some time in Sydney, it's a great city. 

Edited by slowroller