Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BillyBallGame

Suggestions for local reel repair

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Need to get some of my Penn Spinfisher Liveliner reels serviced. LL makes it too complicated for me (I'm a simpleton). Where do you guys bring your reels? I've used Red Top but they're kind of expensive. 

4 mins ago, BillyBallGame said:

Need to get some of my Penn Spinfisher Liveliner reels serviced. LL makes it too complicated for me (I'm a simpleton). Where do you guys bring your reels? I've used Red Top but they're kind of expensive. 

reel1.jpg.4e011e4d07559b9a541c7a2d76c8903d.jpgreel2.jpg.ab1b51ba84c75629ffca0acc93ee9fcd.jpg

Elite tackle in plymouth. I have never personally used them for service/repairs but I’ve heard good things. They always have a very friendly and knowledgeable staff at the very least

Keep in mind the charge is for cleaning only and should you need some parts, which most reels need be sure to obtain that number before they do both . Having spent many years repairing reels for a small clientele you would surprised in many cases what you see after all of the parts are clean enough to see any wearing , that may well cause you a problem under heavy use . When ever I would clean a reel and I had major parts that needed to be replace , the reel stayed in the broken down state until the owner would look at what I discovered and I gave him my opinion as to replacing then or the next time .  I let the owner provide the answer after my recommendation.The folks that I cleaned the reels were the same group of sport and commercial  guys every year , so I new how hard they fished .  I had to stop as a result of COPD and just repair my own , just when they need it . Penn reels are very easy over all to clean and also repair in most cases. I have in some past cases had reels for example they no longer made the parts and so I would need to fabricate a part or two for an old favorite reel that my clientele loved using. When I was finished every reel was given its own marking every year and all information was cataloged in a diary for future references . It would be hard to do in a place where you are doing hundred each year , but I still did it myself ,because it helped me to build trust that they got the reel back in the best condition and that they would have no problems all year. I guarantee my work and should it fail during the year it was repaired free of charge . parts labor included. Unless it jammed on a fish of size or obvious careless ness

15 hours ago, BillyBallGame said:

Awesome, thank you. Very reasonable. Any idea on his typical turnaround time? I may in that area soon. 

Actually  Bill I haven't used him as I do all my own maintenance but Dave belongs to a fly group I'm in and appears to be respected by all.  I don't personally know him, just of him.

HT

Bucko's in Fall River, MA is the go-to Penn reel repair place, especially for older reels.  Mail it down and they'll mail it back.

Kay's daughter at Surfland should be able to take care of it as well. 

5 mins ago, Captain Tuttle said:

Bucko's in Fall River, MA is the go-to Penn reel repair place, especially for older reels.  Mail it down and they'll mail it back.

I’m pretty sure Buckos is closed, isn’t it? I think I’m going to send it away to Beavertail, Dave emailed me last night and said he’d take care of it 

39 mins ago, Captain Tuttle said:

Mikey has been closed for some time now . He is working in Rhody . All of his stock was purchased by some one

3 hours ago, BillyBallGame said:

I’m pretty sure Buckos is closed, isn’t it? I think I’m going to send it away to Beavertail, Dave emailed me last night and said he’d take care of it 

Damn.  Time to update my Rolodex.  Or maybe just throw it out.

I've been using Lucky Bait and Tackle in Warren, RI. They are reasonable, honest and friendly. Also, if it isn't done right the first time the owner (Manny) is just as upset as you are!

Also a great place to buy stuff...

JC