Jewjitzu

Reel Recommendation Cod / Wrecks and Gear Ratio

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

Looking to see what reels people are using for cod and wreck fishing. Could I get by with a Saltiga SASD15 or Ocea Jigger 1500 with 40lb braid and twenty foot 40lb top shot with 50lb leader? Would a Trinidad 14A (if I should use 50lb braid) be too fast of a reel (6:3:1,I know I could reel slower but I'm worried about not having enough torque). 

I know there are various threads that are a few years old. Being that people have gone smaller and lighter, graphites and composites, smaller reels, etc.. Hearing that wreck trips really topping out at 120-150ft of water, Wanted a current take on what the consensus was.

Thanks. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I haven't been Cod fishing for awhile. But I used a American made Penn 114-H Senator with 40# Mono . Worked fine for Cod. Still have the reel.

Edited by hunter123

I do tons of wreck trips especially for cod if available,  I use 2 reels which fit me perfectly ,  Penn 25 N Fathom and Daiwa Saltist 20 star ! Penns I've got 6 seasons on own 3 no issues with normal maintenance , Daiwa only 1 year but no issues ! 

Both perform with heavy jigs if needed & all the sinker you'll ever need for these trips !  Load primarily with 40 # braid and caught several,cod and pollock over 35#'s that pull drag all fine ! 

2 mins ago, Capt. Lou said:

I do tons of wreck trips especially for cod if available,  I use 2 reels which fit me perfectly ,  Penn 25 N Fathom and Daiwa Saltist 20 star ! Penns I've got 6 seasons on own 3 no issues with normal maintenance , Daiwa only 1 year but no issues ! 

Both perform with heavy jigs if needed & all the sinker you'll ever need for these trips !  Load primarily with 40 # braid and caught several,cod and pollock over 35#'s that pull drag all fine ! 

Are you running straight braid on that saltist or are you adding a top shot as well?

Always top shot on any braid reel I use , top shot generally same strength as my braid 40-40 etc. when jigging ! Sinker always add 25# breakaway to top shot saves re rig time on wrecks or even up north u can get stuck in a net on occasion ! So it's cheap insurance and time saver to get back in water quick ! 

5 mins ago, Capt. Lou said:

Always top shot on any braid reel I use , top shot generally same strength as my braid 40-40 etc. when jigging ! Sinker always add 25# breakaway to top shot saves re rig time on wrecks or even up north u can get stuck in a net on occasion ! So it's cheap insurance and time saver to get back in water quick ! 

Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

Posted (edited) · Report post

More torque is gained as simply as adding a longer power handle.

I say go fast.

I have never fished cod, but have fished snapper and grouper up to 200ft deep. Having a fast reel (a reel capable of moving 40ipt) makes life easier so long as the fast reel is built to handle the stress and added torque placed on it with a longer power handle.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

11 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

More torque is gained as simply as adding a longer power handle.

I say go fast.

I have never fished cod, but have fished snapper and grouper up to 200ft deep. Having a fast reel (a reel capable of moving 40ipt) makes life easier so long as the fast reel is built to handle the stress and added torque placed on it with a longer power handle.

So you think something like a Trinidad 14 which can handle an ample amount of 40lb braid and has a relatively fast retrieve could do the trick and not sacrifice torque. 

There's always going to be a trade between tourque and speed. I do a good bit of bottom fishing my way, and use a fathom 25 or 40 whenever I can use braid. Pump and wind, as long as cod don't shoot holes like grouper do you will be fine. 

2 hours ago, Jewjitzu said:

So you think something like a Trinidad 14 which can handle an ample amount of 40lb braid and has a relatively fast retrieve could do the trick and not sacrifice torque. 

I have never used a Trinidad, but conventional reels are designed to handle winching duties and any conventional reel regardless of gear ratio should pull what ever you want off the bottom. 

I have used a number of other conventional reels with fairly high gear ratios and ipt without an issue. They all came with relatively long power handles as well and I never felt I did not have enough power. If anything, just get a good 2 speed lever drag. I don't see why that Tern 400 you just picked up wouldn't do the trick. 

32 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I have never used a Trinidad, but conventional reels are designed to handle winching duties and any conventional reel regardless of gear ratio should pull what ever you want off the bottom. 

I have used a number of other conventional reels with fairly high gear ratios and ipt without an issue. They all came with relatively long power handles as well and I never felt I did not have enough power. If anything, just get a good 2 speed lever drag. I don't see why that Tern 400 you just picked up wouldn't do the trick. 

Was planning on it. But the more I look it over, it’s got some refinement issues. Prob either flipping it or it’s going back. 

57 mins ago, Jewjitzu said:

Was planning on it. But the more I look it over, it’s got some refinement issues. Prob either flipping it or it’s going back. 

I've heard this about 40x in the last month about the terns..

I do lots of wreck trips all season long, and cod trips in the winter and early spring.. 

Most of the time I'm using a Seigler SGN or a Daiwa lexa winn 400..

No complaints on either reel..

#30 or #40 braid is more than sufficient in my experience.. 

2 brutal seasons on the seigler and it's an unstoppable tank.. not smooth like a shimano, but tanks are meant to be smooth..

And for whatever it's worth, seiglers are made in the USA and have a lifetime warranty.. 

Hey jewjitzu and friends,

Second only to surf fishing for stipers fluke & blues, jigging for ground fish (i.e. hoddock, cod & pollack) is my favortie. I use two kinds of reels. Pimped out customized Newells (haven't been made for a while) and older slower style Diawa Saltiga. The Newells are light and great casters.  The Saltigas are strong and smooth. All are star drags which I prefer for bottom fishing. I like slower retrieve w/ higher torque. Many of the newer reels are faster than I prefer. 5 to1 is as fast as I go and prefer slower. 

Depending on the application I use between 30 & 50 lb braid. All w/ some short of top-shot.

Hope that helps. 

JD