scoobydoo

Daiwa BG upgraded....Even better gears and Mag Seal....Please bring out all the sizes

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Sudsy said:

Lot of talk about heavy drag and the effect on gears but where I've had issues has been with the main shaft bending when the spool is fully extended

Happened to my 5000 Sustain last season

Can the shafts on these reels handle that sideways strain at full extension ??

yeah, daiwa goes ever so thiner on those shafts, which I dont like

and owerall, BG feels toyish to me, in the shop

now after I have tested the okuma 8K on the water, it doesnt come close to it, BG doesnt..

and gotta say, 4.7 : 1 ratio is right on the money and shouldnt be lower, because it really does need some speed ( on the retrieve ) or it would take forewer to wind in

+ it has 7 mm thick main shaft 

Daiwa needs to simply ditch the switch and add a 10 cent side plate gasket on their reels. Basically a Smaller/cheaper Catalina but with the BG/back bay or even Ballistic body. I like the idea of keeping the mag fluid on the main shaft area but having some rubber seals and standard bearings at the other spots vs the mag sealed bearings. 

So scoob what's the difference of the ballistic lt vs this back bay? Price is similar. Gear is the same. Bearing count is the same. Mag seal is the same. Weight is not the same. Just the aluminum body and rotor and the sizing? Is the gear on the back bay physically bigger size to size?

4 hours ago, Steg said:

It's an odd reel - 'niche' is probably the word for it. Strongly made but holding only a little bit of line.

That's why I use it for fluke and floating bugs. Don't need a lot of line for those applications.

Chi,sorry to drift from the subject,but a while back you had issues with the Quantum Smoke low gear ratio.

In my experience it compares to the Stradic Ci4 for half the price.

How did you resolve your issues?

17 hours ago, xjclint said:

So scoob what's the difference of the ballistic lt vs this back bay? Price is similar. Gear is the same. Bearing count is the same. Mag seal is the same. Weight is not the same. Just the aluminum body and rotor and the sizing? Is the gear on the back bay physically bigger size to size?

I think the ballistic moves the spool bearings to the line roller and puts bushings there.  And the frame is a fraction of the weight.   and I think felt drags....I think thatas accurate.  But I've been in a bunch of reels lately so i might be confusing a thing or two.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 2/20/2019 at 10:54 AM, scoobydoo said:

Yup forged machined alu.  I consider that a steup up over cast zinc.  In terms of precision and strength.  

I never handled the new certate.  So I can't compare.  But they offer more sizes in the certate from what I've seen on the interwebs.

But I'd bet it's one of those things that the whole certate package is going to feel better under load and adds a bit more elemental resistance.  I wish they gave it a zaion rotor but I think the gearing is physically larger.  Which would add to the feel aspect.  

I want to see what the ar clutch looks like.  As it has the potential to be a completely different design to the standard daiwas.   (exist uses a different part in that area as an example)  

Time will tell.

These back bay reels really are nice.   Rock solid metal frames and great gears.  The ballistics and tatulas are smooth as silk.  The weighty metal goes even further to dull any perceived vibrations.

Can't wait to see the video on the Certate today and your thoughts

Edited by scoobydoo

On 2/20/2019 at 3:40 PM, scoobydoo said:

Max drag is in my opinion one of the dumbest things plasted on the sides of boxes.   Unless the reel is built to withstand that pressure It shouldn't be listed as a "spec"

I have sitting next to me 2 abu revo beasts that abu sent to  me as a replacement for the one that failed when I pulled it's 30# rated drag to 21# and it **** the bed.  Other reels I've tested can't even hit 50% of their "max" drag.  With full or empty spools.

So even if it's on the box.  Unless ya test it is likely not accurate.  And if you test it.  You do so at the risk of damage.  Especially if they rate it with an empty spool and you try forcing it out of a full spool.

And if you don't spool tight enough.  And get a dig in......oof....that's when you can really bend stuff.

Amen.  Building a powerful drag stack cheaply is a solved engineering problem.  Making the rest of that inexpensive reel stand up to the drag stress, not so much.