scoobydoo

Daiwa BG upgraded....Even better gears and Mag Seal....Please bring out all the sizes

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

49 mins ago, Jewjitzu said:

You’re probably right. 

Just curious why they would do it in the ballastic and certate that’s coming out. The Stradic has 20 some odd pounds of drag. Why not the backbay. 

Its not needed. Just a curious thing. 

Max drag is in my opinion one of the dumbest things plasted on the sides of boxes.   Unless the reel is built to withstand that pressure It shouldn't be listed as a "spec"

I have sitting next to me 2 abu revo beasts that abu sent to  me as a replacement for the one that failed when I pulled it's 30# rated drag to 21# and it **** the bed.  Other reels I've tested can't even hit 50% of their "max" drag.  With full or empty spools.

So even if it's on the box.  Unless ya test it is likely not accurate.  And if you test it.  You do so at the risk of damage.  Especially if they rate it with an empty spool and you try forcing it out of a full spool.

And if you don't spool tight enough.  And get a dig in......oof....that's when you can really bend stuff.

23 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

The spinfisher but it pales in the refinement category.   But excels in some of the rugged seals categories.  

Additionally the gears are going to be physically smaller in the penn as well.  Much smaller which....duz stuff  :)  

Thanks.  I'll bite the bullet on the back bay then.

20 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Max drag is in my opinion one of the dumbest things plasted on the sides of boxes.   Unless the reel is built to withstand that pressure It shouldn't be listed as a "spec"

I have sitting next to me 2 abu revo beasts that abu sent to  me as a replacement for the one that failed when I pulled it's 30# rated drag to 21# and it **** the bed.  Other reels I've tested can't even hit 50% of their "max" drag.  With full or empty spools.

So even if it's on the box.  Unless ya test it is likely not accurate.  And if you test it.  You do so at the risk of damage.  Especially if they rate it with an empty spool and you try forcing it out of a full spool.

And if you don't spool tight enough.  And get a dig in......oof....that's when you can really bend stuff.

You’re completely right. Maybe they should start advertising “Realistic Drag” instead. 

I’ve made the mistake with conventionals as well. Why care for an Accurate with 25-30lbs of drag when I’m using 8-12 max. Daiwa and Shimamo Star drags are more practical. At least for me 

7 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

If you like the BG but want more refinement, upgraded gearing, and a bit more resistance to the elements.  As long as the size fits.  I can't find a better reel for the money.  

Unfortunately.  A year after the series dropped.  They only have 2 models.  All alluminum framed and around 10 ounces.  So if you want that traditional 4000 Daiwa size.  It isn't yet available.

Hey Scoob,

After watching this video, I re-watched your initial review of the 3000, where you also noted the Back Bay has more in common with the BG than the black and blue 2016 Saltist. 

I was wondering how you’d compare the two while taking into consideration the price of a 2016 Saltist in the 3000 size, which can be had for less than the Back Bay in the 4000 on fleabay.

33 mins ago, Wet_Dream said:

Hey Scoob,

After watching this video, I re-watched your initial review of the 3000, where you also noted the Back Bay has more in common with the BG than the black and blue 2016 Saltist. 

I was wondering how you’d compare the two while taking into consideration the price of a 2016 Saltist in the 3000 size, which can be had for less than the Back Bay in the 4000 on fleabay.

For me personally.  Ball bearings are ball bearings as long as they are quality which both the back bay and blue saltist are.  Though I don't put too much weight on the blue saltist's being more corrosion resistant.   That's just me though.  I bet the most common issue these companies have are corroded bearings I am curious though if with the rubber seal at the handle and the opposite side cap being sealed.  If it's those bearings that fail.  I've seen pinion bearings on bg's go bad a decent amount of times.  Which mag seal does a great job in preventing. 

I do however really like the refinement of the back bay.  It's on another level over the blue saltist.   Not that the blue one is bad.  But the improvement in that area is noticeable with the back bay.

Seeing Elias V's fuego which using the bg / back bay bearings.  Also made me feel more comoftable in that too.   

Just keep in mind the capacities.  

And the refinement that comes with that big ass forged machined aluminum main gear.   While the saltist gears are about as good as you can get in cast zinc.......Back bay has the better of the two.

Which for a reel limited to just the smallest sizes makes no friggin sense to me. lol

16 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

And the refinement that comes with that big ass forged machined aluminum main gear.   While the saltist gears are about as good as you can get in cast zinc.......Back bay has the better of the two.

Thanks for the detailed reply! I’m sure the Back Bay and Saltist prices will probably even out in due time. I’ll be fishing my Stradic FKs and the Back Bay 3000 heavily, side by side from the kayak this year. The FK’s have served me well, but that Back Bay is super SMOOTH...

21 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Which for a reel limited to just the smallest sizes makes no friggin sense to me. lol

That and the silly anti-reverse switch on a “Back Bay” reel is a head-scratcher. Not sure how many guys are actually back reeling considering the intended saltwater purposes this reel is aimed for.

1 hour ago, Wet_Dream said:

That and the silly anti-reverse switch on a “Back Bay” reel is a head-scratcher. Not sure how many guys are actually back reeling considering the intended saltwater purposes this reel is aimed for.

I back reel my back bay. Only when floating bugs out in a rip though. It's better than opening the bail or loosening the drag and hand feeding line out. By back reeling you're able to maintain constant contact with the bait while it's floating out. If you feel a strike it's much quicker to set the hook or reel a bit back in quickly instead of messing with the drag or flipping the bail.

8 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Are you winching with the reel or using the rod.  You should be able to catch a hundred 30# fish on the bg.  My friend did it with 3k standing right next to me anchored in current

It's a spinning reel, not a winch. 30#er + CCC = geary BG4000. Yeah, the rod could have been bigger (8' Mojo Surf), but that doesn't mean I don't know how to fight fish. I dragged up a 35#er trolling a Bomber Stretch with a 7' Star 15-25 and a Slammer 4500 and that reel is mechanically still 100%.(love the slammers) You can't control what takes your bait. I'm just speaking of my own experience. I loved that BG until I hooked a decent fish on it. Now it's in its box until I find a use for it. 

All I wanted to know was if the main gear on the Back Bay 4000 was more durable. I could find a use for that reel spooled with 15-20#.

37 mins ago, chitala383 said:

I back reel my back bay. Only when floating bugs out in a rip though. It's better than opening the bail or loosening the drag and hand feeding line out. By back reeling you're able to maintain constant contact with the bait while it's floating out. If you feel a strike it's much quicker to set the hook or reel a bit back in quickly instead of messing with the drag or flipping the bail.

Interesting, I can see how that would be benificial for that type of fishing where you need to constantly feed line. Not to derail the thread, but when you say floating bugs, do you mean like fly fishing? If so, how do you cast light flies on spinning gear? I’m always open to learn new techniques.

3 hours ago, Wet_Dream said:

Interesting, I can see how that would be benificial for that type of fishing where you need to constantly feed line. Not to derail the thread, but when you say floating bugs, do you mean like fly fishing? If so, how do you cast light flies on spinning gear? I’m always open to learn new techniques.

No, not like fly fishing. Floating bugs ala @MC55. He's the one who has made this method somewhat popular around here. Bugs meaning sand crabs. A couple of them on a hook with a split shot weight. Float it out into a rip or some current. There's a few threads about it if you do a little searching.

3 hours ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

You think the 3000 size would pair well with a 6' tsunami slow pitch rod for Seabass/Tog?

I think that would be a great setup for Seabass, could be good for tog too, but it could get interesting if you get slammed by a 20 pounder.

Lot of talk about heavy drag and the effect on gears but where I've had issues has been with the main shaft bending when the spool is fully extended

Happened to my 5000 Sustain last season

Can the shafts on these reels handle that sideways strain at full extension ??

4 hours ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

You think the 3000 size would pair well with a 6' tsunami slow pitch rod for Seabass/Tog?

Absolutely... I put it on a 6'2 BH tai special for a while.. spooled it up with 10lb invisibraid and used the combo all last fall.. I used it jigging for seabass and casting at albies.. never went after tog with that combo but a nice albie fights harder than any tog I've ever caught..

reel is still solid as a rock and smooth as butter..