scoobydoo

Daiwa BG upgraded....Even better gears and Mag Seal....Please bring out all the sizes

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

The Daiwa Saltist Back Bay came out early last year in a single 3000 size.  (which was a shallow spool 3000 variant)

Late last year they dropped a 4000 sized reel.  Which is just as sweet as the smaller version.   

If you like the BG but want more refinement, upgraded gearing, and a bit more resistance to the elements.  As long as the size fits.  I can't find a better reel for the money.  

Unfortunately.  A year after the series dropped.  They only have 2 models.  All alluminum framed and around 10 ounces.  So if you want that traditional 4000 Daiwa size.  It isn't yet available.  

https://amzn.to/2Xft4Gs

Very sexy little reel, definitely black enough. Would you say the main gear will be more durable than the BG4000? One 30#er and the thing got geary on me.

Great review!

The new Daiwa’s are out performing the Shimano in price to quality on the entre level reels 

I currently have 2 stradic’s at Shimano with crushed main gears & my cheap BG is rolling along 

I was actually just looking into this reel a couple of days ago.  I also believe that it is on sale currently.  (Around the $260 mark, I think) It's a really nice little reel and looks great with the all black frame.  

2 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

The Daiwa Saltist Back Bay came out early last year in a single 3000 size.  (which was a shallow spool 3000 variant)

Late last year they dropped a 4000 sized reel.  Which is just as sweet as the smaller version.   

If you like the BG but want more refinement, upgraded gearing, and a bit more resistance to the elements.  As long as the size fits.  I can't find a better reel for the money.  

Unfortunately.  A year after the series dropped.  They only have 2 models.  All alluminum framed and around 10 ounces.  So if you want that traditional 4000 Daiwa size.  It isn't yet available.  

https://amzn.to/2Xft4Gs

Great video. 

Just to confirm, the main gear isn't zinc in this model. It's forged aluminum, correct? Which is much better I assume. Very nice looking gear.

I was in your affiliate's shop on monday and held the 2019 Certate LT, which was friggin gorgeous and I hope you get to do a tear down on it.

Now I'm confused after this review. Certate or Back Bay. I was full stead ahead on the certate when it comes out. Which is better for jigging tog, fluke, striped bass. Which will hold up longer in saltwater and which is  better for the money?

32 mins ago, RockRonin said:

Very sexy little reel, definitely black enough. Would you say the main gear will be more durable than the BG4000? One 30#er and the thing got geary on me.

keep in mind 2 things.

Are you winching with the reel or using the rod.  You should be able to catch a hundred 30# fish on the bg.  My friend did it with 3k standing right next to me anchored in current.  Lasted a full season until corrosion hit the pinion bearing.

And 2 This reel is smaller than the 4k bg by a large amount.  It's gearing is better in quality and refinement.  but everything is scaled down.

It's a full third smaller than the 4k bg.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 2/20/2019 at 10:31 AM, Jewjitzu said:

Great video. 

Just to confirm, the main gear isn't zinc in this model. It's forged aluminum, correct? Which is much better I assume. Very nice looking gear.

I was in your affiliate's shop on monday and held the 2019 Certate LT, which was friggin gorgeous and I hope you get to do a tear down on it.

Now I'm confused after this review. Certate or Back Bay. I was full stead ahead on the certate when it comes out. Which is better for jigging tog, fluke, striped bass. Which will hold up longer in saltwater and which is  better for the money?

Yup forged machined alu.  I consider that a steup up over cast zinc.  In terms of precision and strength.  

I never handled the new certate.  So I can't compare.  But they offer more sizes in the certate from what I've seen on the interwebs.

But I'd bet it's one of those things that the whole certate package is going to feel better under load and adds a bit more elemental resistance.  I wish they gave it a zaion rotor but I think the gearing is physically larger.  Which would add to the feel aspect.  

I want to see what the ar clutch looks like.  As it has the potential to be a completely different design to the standard daiwas.   (exist uses a different part in that area as an example)  

Time will tell.

These back bay reels really are nice.   Rock solid metal frames and great gears.  The ballistics and tatulas are smooth as silk.  The weighty metal goes even further to dull any perceived vibrations.

Edited by scoobydoo

Scooby:

Is there an equivalent Penn spinning reel to the Back Bay?  I like Daiwa's but I can get a Penn reel right now at a discount from a buddy.  Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Yup forged machined alu.  I consider that a steup up over cast zinc.  In terms of precision and strength.  

He called me when he got the mystery box in the mail.  

I hope to have it soon.  but was told there would be an embargo on putting out any video.

I don't know if i can do a tear down.  I don't have the tools to open them.  Never been in a daiwa monocoque reel yet.  Not sure if I'd damage it.  

I never handled the new certate.  So I can't compare.  But they offer more sizes in the certate from what I've seen on the interwebs.

But I'd bet it's one of those things that the whole certate package is going to feel better under load and adds a bit more elemental resistance.  I wish they gave it a zaion rotor but I think the gearing is physically larger.  Which would add to the feel aspect.  

I want to see what the ar clutch looks like.  As it has the potential to be a completely different design to the standard daiwas.   (exist uses a different part in that area as an example)  

Time will tell.

These back bay reels really are nice.   Rock solid metal frames and great gears.  The ballistics and tatulas are smooth as silk.  The weighty metal goes even further to dull any perceived vibrations.

Thing I don’t get is, why keep the drag at 15lbs? You’ve made what looks to be a fantastic reel. Why short it?

22 mins ago, Heron25 said:

Scooby:

Is there an equivalent Penn spinning reel to the Back Bay?  I like Daiwa's but I can get a Penn reel right now at a discount from a buddy.  Thanks in advance.

Look into the Penn Clash reels.

29 mins ago, hobobob said:

15lb is a ALOT of drag for a small spinner. It's not a conventional reel. I don't think the internal will last with 15lb drag locked down.

You’re probably right. 

Just curious why they would do it in the ballastic and certate that’s coming out. The Stradic has 20 some odd pounds of drag. Why not the backbay. 

Its not needed. Just a curious thing. 

1 hour ago, Heron25 said:

Scooby:

The spinfisher but it pales in the refinement category.   But excels in some of the rugged seals categories.  

Additionally the gears are going to be physically smaller in the penn as well.  Much smaller which....duz stuff  :)  

1 hour ago, Jewjitzu said:

Thing I don’t get is, why keep the drag at 15lbs? You’ve made what looks to be a fantastic reel. Why short it?

So ya don't bend the spool shaft and damage the clutch.  :) 

Keep in mind.....Most of today's conventional reels can't  hit 15lbs of drag and pay it out smoothly.

This is by all means, in the world of saltwater egg beaters.   A small light action reel.  It's 10 ounces.    And it doesn't really have the capacity to hold lines where you'd likely be presetting the drag to 15lbs let alone over that.