bluefin619

Penn 100 Surfmaster

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Bought a Penn 100 surfmaster at a garage sale recently. Also came with a Newell spool.

Does anyone still use these reels? I figured I can use it as a light live bait reel for local Bass or bottomfish.  Kind of reminds me of a smaller Penn 501.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yes. 146, 180, & 100 all same size. Each has different features. Use my Penn 180 in the bay behind Stone Harbor/Wildwood spooled with 20 lb test braided Dacron. Just the right size and weight for Fluke etc. 

Edited by george6308

They hold up pretty well.  We have a number of older Penns of that type that do fine for general bottom fishing around Long Island--fluke, black sea bass, porgies, etc.  You just need to change out the drag washers from time to time.

Posted (edited) · Report post

A Penn 100 attached to a lite or medium action rod, couple of Door Gunner’s float rigs, No Bones T-shirt (for proper Mojo), nice weather, a cold A-Treat birch beer all in a nice Garvey. Heaven for back bay fishing.

Edited by george6308

Great inshore reel.  I'm a big fan of that 3:1 gear ratio, as long as, say, burning an Ava jig through the water isn't needed.  I've got a 100 with upgraded drag, steel gearing, and a Tib frame.  There's nothing in the inshore NE that it won't handle easily.