AndyV123

Cape cod canal setup

Rate this topic

92 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I would recommend getting a setup on the expensive side because the canal is brutal on gear. For my plugging rod I use a Odm genesis 11ft 2-6 oz with a 5000h Saltiga. My jigging setup is a jigster 11ft 4-10oz with a dogfight 8000h I would recommend a reel anywhere from 5000 to 8000 but that’s just my preference for the canal. Rod length is not very critical at the canal because most of the time the fish are pushing bait up close but it’s good to have a rod 10ft+ Just incase the fish are just out of reach.   The weight rating is critical for the rod to be a good canal rod. Normally at the canal your throwing jigs weighing from 4-5oz on average so the rod should be casting anywhere from 4oz - 10oz for a jigging setup but for a plugging setup casting magic swimmers, stick shads, pencil poppers and more you would want a lighter weight rating for the rod such as a 2oz - 6oz to have the most sensitivity and least abuse on your back and shoulders.

-Tommy 

Edited by t_man7

For an all-around setup, it's generally recommended that a 10-11' rod that can comfortably throw 4 ounces, paired with a Shimano 8k/10k or Daiwa 5k sized reel is needed. 

Of course, knowing the intended fishing style (jigging, plugging, pencil popping), and budget will help narrow your options.  

What t_man7 said.  The biggest mistake and the one most often that a newcomer to the Canal makes is to go too light with the rod & reel.  The current is brutal and the pressure that an average fish puts on gear is something a typical open surf fisherman can't imagine.  Sometimes the fish are in close but quite often they are way out in the middle.  With the crowds that have been showing up the last few years you want gear that will turn a fish and bring it in quickly.  You don't want 6 guys down current of you swearing at you and casting over your fish.  

TFO 10’6”, 2-6 (or similar )and Shimano Saragosa 8 or 10K.  More than adequate and will cover most of the bases.  Good starting point.  Plus you’ll fit right in with all the others down there lol

Edited by FoliFish

clambellies, that’s exactly what was happening last season but it was a guy on my right that ended up fighting ever fish he caught right in front of me. Absolutely no control. But to be fair I was not really ready for the current either. I just picked up a TFO 10’6” 2-6  can’t wait to try it out. Now I have to look into the Saragossa or something similar. Thanks for the advice. 

28 mins ago, FoliFish said:

TFO 10’6”, 2-6 (or similar )and Shimano Saragosa 8 or 10K.  More than adequate and will cover most of the bases.  Good starting point.  Plus you’ll fit right in with all the others down there lol

Exactly what I'd recommend to get one started down on the ditch.

30 mins ago, FoliFish said:

Lol, that’s what I have with 8k gosa. 

(Also ODM Genesis 11’)

I don't fish the ditch, one day I'll get up there, but I have my tfo 1065 paired with a Daiwa bg 5000 and I love it. It's an amazing reel for the price, I don't think you can beat it. Just a suggestion.

31 mins ago, chitala383 said:

I don't fish the ditch, one day I'll get up there, but I have my tfo 1065 paired with a Daiwa bg 5000 and I love it. It's an amazing reel for the price, I don't think you can beat it. Just a suggestion.

That would be my second choice if you dont want to spend $300 for the gosa. The BG gives you a lot of reel for your money.

Exactly Sandbar.  Great way to start.  I'm all for making the investment in quality gear especially for difficult/harsh applications like the canal, especially if the plan is to be there 3-4+ times a week all season.  If the OP is a "casual" canal visitor with a handful of trips planned over the season then this is all that's needed.

Edited by FoliFish

10 hours ago, AndyV123 said:

clambellies, that’s exactly what was happening last season but it was a guy on my right that ended up fighting ever fish he caught right in front of me. Absolutely no control. But to be fair I was not really ready for the current either. I just picked up a TFO 10’6” 2-6  can’t wait to try it out. Now I have to look into the Saragossa or something similar. Thanks for the advice. 

Last year my friend had his son and his son's friend come down to join us.  The fish were busting all along the shore  and the friend caught a 45" fish that his set-up couldn't handle and the fish went down current about 200'.  The fish swung in close to the rocks and that shut down the 5-6 guys below us.   The friend couldn't gain any line and finally one guy with waders walked out and grabbed the fish and dropped in up on the rocks, so they could start fishing again.  The kid had to do the walk of shame and go down and retrieve his fish.  It was pretty funny to see, but then again I wasn't the one having to wait while fish were busting.

11 hours ago, FoliFish said:

this tfo  or the mojo 2-6, for a long time it was the mojo 2-6 and the emblem pro for dropping bombs.  Until the jersey guys showed up and then it was the van stall  and odm :beers:

Edited by crazybellringer