robc22

Wader Repair.....

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, bdowning said:

Me too. Also, if you have all-rubber type waders, leaks are often due to outer rubber starting to crack. If you bend the rubber and look carefully along the material, you can often spot the area of the crack where the worst part of the leak is. A magnifier helps.

If you have rubber waders treat them once or twice a year with an armor all type product. They will never crack.....

1 hour ago, robc22 said:

If you have rubber waders treat them once or twice a year with an armor all type product. They will never crack.....

Never knew that.

20 hours ago, robc22 said:

Now there is a great idea on how to keep your rubber waders longer. I have a pair of waders that are over 25 years old, that have had a couple of leaks patched with duct tape and have been hung up after every time I use them I originally paid a little over $100 when I bought them and each time I put them on I am amazed at well they have lasted all these years . The material they used has remained soft and no cracks all of these years .

58 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

….........….. I have a pair of waders that are over 25 years old, that have had a couple of leaks patched with duct tape and have been hung up after every time I use them...... .

Carl...….....do you hang them upside down on boot hangers?

Have tried most all products listed in this posting and have to say Aqua Seal is the undisputed champ in my eyes.

Only problem I have had is a leak right in the crotch area along the seam which quickly becomes an exercise in futility.

The crotch seam suffers the most movement, pull and flex and even Aquaseal lasted a month ( applied using correct protocol ).  Kinda like when you get a scab on your knee that is painful and takes a long time to heal because of the constant movement, pulling and tension on that area of your body.

In retrospect, most of my seam leaks have been on the inside and due to rubber cracking over time therefore robc22 may have a sound solution with Armorall.

3 hours ago, baldadonis2002 said:

Have tried most all products listed in this posting and have to say Aqua Seal is the undisputed champ in my eyes.

Only problem I have had is a leak right in the crotch area along the seam which quickly becomes an exercise in futility.

Don't put it in your eyes, put it on the leak in the crotch... problem solved ;) :howdy::hooked:

10 hours ago, Joe G said:

Carl...….....do you hang them upside down on boot hangers?

Joe that has been my practice ever since I began to use waders of Hip boots . I think it extends the life better then just throwing them on the floor after useing.

13 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

Joe that has been my practice ever since I began to use waders of Hip boots . I think it extends the life better then just throwing them on the floor after useing.

I didn't have room in my 29' hooch at BSP to hang up boot hangers, so I just inserted a pair of 3' rods in my hip boots, turned them upside down, and leaned them against the wall.

3 mins ago, Joe G said:

I didn't have room in my 29' hooch at BSP to hang up boot hangers, so I just inserted a pair of 3' rods in my hip boots, turned them upside down, and leaned them against the wall.

Not me, I would just shave my legs and use automotive undercoating to insulate them and as waterproofing, peel it off after a couple of weeks and use it for a fire starter...…….

Fixed income ya know...………………….

21 hours ago, bazztard said:

I use a can of Flex seal spray in clear, turn the waders inside out & go to town. You don’t even need to know where the hole is 

Imma try that!.Thx......:)

51 mins ago, robc22 said:

Imma try that!.Thx......:)

I tried clear spray flex seal on an old pair of breathables.  Didn't work for me.

Spray suspect areas with iso alcohol leaking areas will show dark when dry, then rub again with alcohol to remove oils and sweat, then apply aqua seal or shoo goo in thin layers allowing each layer to fully cure