robc22

Wader Repair.....

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Now we know there are waders made of various materials which lends them to their own particular repair kit/technique

Personally I wear either a wetsuit or some light weight breathable  wader in the summer and 3.5-5.0 mm neoprene waders in the winter

What is your best repair methods for fixing damage in these suits/waders? 

Rob,

I use that clear stuff in a tube they sell at Red Top. Its called Aqua Seal.  Ive repaired some large holes caused by lobster traps. When cured, the stuff is flexible and doesnt peel.

I've used both Aqua Seal and Shoe Goo. Shoe Goo's much cheaper but repairs with it tend to harden and get brittle and break off after a few years. Aqua Seal repairs seem to last longer. 

Rob,

Ive repaired breathable waders and neoprene gloves with Aqua Seal and had the repair last several years. The trick is to really prep the area that needs repair. Thoroughly dry and clean it. Place a solid object behind it, so the edges come together. Spread the sealant, carefully trying to smooth the edges. Allow to dry overnight in a heated area.  Also, place unused Aqua Seal in your freezer. It will last fowever. Otherwise once exposed to air, the whole tube will harden.

Any tips on finding leaks?  I have both Aqua Seal and Shoe Goo, but I cannot seem to actually patch the leak that needs to be patched.

i have a slight trickle of water that seems to be coming in from where the boot meets the neoprene, which gets my feet wet and cold during winter missions.   I have resorted to wearing garbage bags as a precaution.

I’ve tried filling up the waders with water, as well as using a leaf blower/soapy water method.   But no luck.

5 mins ago, Jonesy02719 said:

Any tips on finding leaks?  I have both Aqua Seal and Shoe Goo, but I cannot seem to actually patch the leak that needs to be patched.

i have a slight trickle of water that seems to be coming in from where the boot meets the neoprene, which gets my feet wet and cold during winter missions.   I have resorted to wearing garbage bags as a precaution.

I’ve tried filling up the waders with water, as well as using a leaf blower/soapy water method.   But no luck.

Flashlight in the waders in a dark room? Worked for me a few times......

I've been using the E6000 industrial strength adhesive I got from home depot. It doesn't smell great but it's permanent. I also had good luck with the 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200. It's white, which isn't ideal but I'd rather have a few white spots on my waders than have wet feet.

42 mins ago, bob_G said:

What he said.

Me too. Also, if you have all-rubber type waders, leaks are often due to outer rubber starting to crack. If you bend the rubber and look carefully along the material, you can often spot the area of the crack where the worst part of the leak is. A magnifier helps.

15 hours ago, bob_G said:

…...  Also, place unused Aqua Seal in your freezer. It will last fowever. Otherwise once exposed to air, the whole tube will harden.

Unlike Aqua Seal, Shoe Goo requires no freezing after use, and will not harden when tightly sealed and left at room temperature. 

E6000 I swear by that stuff. It stinks when first applied but clears up overnight . What I like the most is it doesn't dry out and harden after the tube is opened .