Mexican Pacific coast surf fishing - swimming plugs??

Rate this topic

SurfFishDan

Wow!!

Surf Fish Dan congratulations for a very nice job. 

I fish for the same species on mainland Mexico. Never got that lucky with so many nice specimens in a short timeline like you guys accomplished. 

1 hour ago, mfishter said:

Nice too! Both are good eating for sure! Mainland Mexico Pacific Coast this year as well?

I am heading to Cabo soon and then to the other spot 1.5 to 2 mo later!

Fishing Block Island till the winter. It was too cold in Cabo and very windy this year. Lost few fish as well swimming with my lures stuck in their mouth. Temp below 70 during the first week of June.  63 in the mornings. Good luck in both trips..

Edited by levari

Peak for surf fishing roosters in Cabo seems to be May thru July with (it seems) mid June to end of June (though I have caught them in December too!) based on my success (and lack of) and my friends who fish their as well. Hot is relative..I find it to be comfortable compared to mainland Mexico during peak season rooster fishing. I been fishing there every year from late June to early July for the last 25 years and it averages mid 80's on the pacific side and 90's in town, wind make a difference. Had a couple years with some humidity but never nearly as humid as the mainland! I also have had some very cool years due to the wind on the pacific side. Never a bad time in Cabo as long as you are fishin!!

Apparently the (Pacific) cubera snappers there aren't the same as the ones around Florida.  Another name is pargo, I remember seeing Offshore Adventure shows with the Ocearch shark guy (Chris Fischer) catching/spearing them.

Edited by buz23

• 8 months later...
On 2019-02-23 at 9:48 AM, RKG1 said:

Another option to look at for surf rods is I see Stephen Jansen sells a 13' surf rod pretty cheap.  I know nothing about it though.  Buy one and tell us!

I know this post is more than a year old, but hey... I started it so...

Here is a couple of pics of the 12' travel rod my buddy bought while in Cabo at Jansen Tackle. I recently asked him to borrow it so I could look at it since I might eventually commit and order one. It's lite graphite, K frame style guides, 6 pieces, graphite reel seat. I'd say it is Medium-Heavy powered and the action is moderate-fast, but I can't really recall the feel when I tried it over there.

Jansen recently told me he discontinued the 13' version of this travel surf rod.

fullsizeoutput_b3d.jpeg.44d0d6e371adb26c1dab917fc2ed7ad4.jpeg

IMG_2207.jpg.e92f069615fe21dbb49070a99d4aa2ec.jpg

fullsizeoutput_b46.jpeg.7c2b167d97376515e5238a5e6dc485ef.jpeg

How did the rod hold together while you were fishing it?  

did you have to keep re-adjusting the sections?

What a trip btw. I watched all of his YouTube videos and it is a dream to go. 

You guys crushed that!

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

~Steven Wright

9 hours ago, Tbird650 said:

How did the rod hold together while you were fishing it?  

did you have to keep re-adjusting the sections?

I only did a couple of casts with it... so I can’t say much.  The connections are « traditionnal », they are not euro spigots ferrules like the Okuma Nomad or the Daiwa Ardito. It does seem like a pretty tight fit. The connection are unfishished (sanded but no clearcoat), this might make it a more secure connection. I think my buddy  checked the tip section and the one below after many casts and might have been mis aligned a bit, but overall it held pretty good. I don’t think he was making power casts tought.... He was mostly fishing a 3oz cabo killer and 3oz Ballyhoo xl.

If my flight to Florida isnt canceled in a few weeks I’ll bring it as a carry on and try it out over there, with 3oz lures. Not sure if I could throw more than 4oz.... like a 182mm stick shadd....

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

A little update on this post.

I did went back in late May 2023, at the Dreams resort. A week with plenty of life on the shore: mullet jumping, sierra mack jumping, rooster comb surfing, big jacks attacking mullet, huge needlefish cruising the waves... every morning and evenings.. but... the 2 of us did not land one single fish. I only had 2 hookups that held on for 10-15 seconds and thats it. It was a frustrating week but we still had fun. Completely different than our last trip in 2019... I did upgrade the gear this time. I packed 3 rods, my Penn Carnage II MH 10', a Okuma Cedros CSX MH 11' and I borrowed a Baja Beach 12' Travel (6 piece rod). I also broth 2 reels, my previously featured in this post Tica Scepter 10K and a new acquisition, a Shimano Spheros 14000XG, both spooled with 40lb Daiwa J-braid.

Like mentioned above, sadly, I can't really talk about any fish fighting experience this time but I can talk about casting because that I did a lot.... I felt like the Okuma loaded the 3oz lures very well but the guide size and setup may have limited distance a bit... Maybe the pairing with the 14k Spheros was not optimal? Size of the spool, 40lb braid and small first guide? I feel it may perform well with a slightly smaller spool (like Penn 6K) and 30lb braid? I'll see in the future... I live near Montreal, Quebec so, as much as I love it, surf fishing is not a usual thing for me. The 10' Penn Carnage was more of a backup rod, but it is still a great powerful rod and when used properly, it can cast almost just as far as the 11'' and 12'' I brought, just with a little more effort.

Now it was my first time using the Baja Beach 12' travel surf rod from Jansen Tackle. Paired with my 14k Spheros I fished the first morning being very frustrated because the tip section would not stay put, it would twist and gradually separate itself making me nervous every 2-3 casts. I stored that rod in the hotel room and used the Okuma most of the week. I gave it a second chance after 3 days, using a bit of duct tape to stabilize the tip section to the rest of the rod. Just a tiny bit of tape. I worked. Still frustrating to have to do this on a rod that price (even more expensive these days at around 460$CAD). Although I found the guide size and setup was not ideal for braided line (there was a lot of flapping around...) It casted the 3oz GT Ice Cream very well. I also casted poppers and glide baits up to 4oz, which I felt like was the limit of this rod. Wish I had caught a fish on it to tell you more but... Still, this rod was borrowed and I don't think I would buy it, not at this price. Aeromexico won't even let you bring it as a carry-on anyway. So last week I ordered a Shimano SpeedMaster 12' MH rated 2-6oz which will be the one I bring on the trip this coming spring. I think It will pair well with the fast Spheros and will let me easily cast lures up to 5oz (heavier glidebaits, jigs, etc).

This trip was also frustrating because I convinced a friend that never surf fished before to buy some gear and come with me. He had a MH 10' Penn Battalion paired with a Fierce II 6k (upgraded with carbonite drag washers). He did not even get a strike... But he is a fisherman and understands the gamble of going there to fish. Still, we had a great time in the south Baja sun and kept fishing till the end. Good news is that he is likely to try again this year! :)

Thight lines,

IMG_4037.JPG

IMG_1327.jpeg

IMG_4041.JPG

Edited by SurfFishDan

15 mins ago, MikeMc said:

So, were you not getting hits or just unable to connect? 

Only got 2 hits... mullet and other small bait fish seemed plentiful and big fish where active at dawn and dusk... fish where not interested in our plastic offerings