NJ Dave

Thru wire ?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Question, what diameter SS thru wire is recommended for plugs ?

I see the offer .024, .030 and .051 gauge wire. 

I know some guys just use welding wire but I am looking for and found pre bent, open eyed, SS wire.

Just not sure what size to order for saltwater plugs.

Thanks 

If you're talking for fish that weigh as much/pull as hard as striped bass or bigger/stronger, .062" and up. The 15" pre-bent, 304l 1/8hard is what I like. I use the cut-offs for all sorts of stuff. The fully annealed is too flexible, IMO...loops/tail wraps can get bent by 'okay' sized fish

I use .041" SS lockwire from Harbor Freight for freshwater stuff. It's slightly too flexible (but passable if you make your loops tight) but the tensile strength is fine

53 mins ago, NJ Dave said:

Like a warehouse or somewhere direct...... gotcha

Yep, that would work.but I like better N J Tackle. But if tackle warehouse or tackle direct have better prices, go with it. One of 'em only had short wire, if I remember correct

23 mins ago, Livefreeordie said:

Yep, that would work.but I like better N J Tackle. But if tackle warehouse or tackle direct have better prices, go with it. One of 'em only had short wire, if I remember correct

I found the N J place. Prices seem fair and why not support the local guy.

Thanks again for your help.

Now let's see how long my building takes to figure out...

Buy by the pound - Save many $ - Buy 1/16 "  (.062") 304L or 316L tig wire, sold in either boxes or tubes in 3 foot lengths from a welding supply shop like Air Gas.  I get three plug wires from each length. There are a few tutorials here on SOL and around the web on simple bending techniques for the nose loops - It really is simple as pie.  Save your money for buying SST lips from those tackle stores.  Lips are a PIA to cut and bend.