R.R. Bridge Fisher

Daiwa spinning reel question

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I am done with all my gear and ready for the season. With a lot of time on my hands I pulled out this Daiwa emblem X reel that I Haven't used in a while. I recall the bail snapping shut and becoming frustrated as I put this reel aside for a manual bail. I know of positioning the reel on the stopper before the cast but I never got in the groove of that. 

So Using the search option I have seen about cutting this off. (Pic 1)

But on my reel the stem looks like this(pic2) and cutting does not look like an option. 

What are your opinions on taking a dremmel and just buzzing off the bail wire and making it bail less? 

I found replacement drag washers but was wondering if there is a replacement for the old folding handle that will not break the bank?  I think I saw one at $70 plus shipping. 

Thanks for and thoughts on this. 

post-12617-0-10814900-1465259354.png

20190218_114153.jpg

20190218_114211.jpg

20190218_114324.jpg

i think also, that bailless reels have specific way of line lay and diameters of the spool, to work properly, so these cant do it right

That external bail trip mechanism has to clear the bail arm when it's in it's flipped state. Looking at your picture. It's made of 2 separate parts. The black plastic bail trip and the gray aluminum reel foot. Flip the bail and rotate it to the reel foot to see how much you need to remove / cut off.  If just the plastic part, I would look hard to try to find a screw under any rubber pad. If not, just cut off enough to let the flipped bail arm pass. 

4 hours ago, hobobob said:

That external bail trip mechanism has to clear the bail arm when it's in it's flipped state. Looking at your picture. It's made of 2 separate parts. The black plastic bail trip and the gray aluminum reel foot. Flip the bail and rotate it to the reel foot to see how much you need to remove / cut off.  If just the plastic part, I would look hard to try to find a screw under any rubber pad. If not, just cut off enough to let the flipped bail arm pass. 

Will do, I think I'm going to cut it tomorrow and see what happens. 

Thanks

19 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Will do, I think I'm going to cut it tomorrow and see what happens. 

Thanks

Leave it alone and buy a bail less reel or have it professionally modified. My prediction, if your not an experienced manual user, you won't like it. I tried numerous times over a long period of time, sometimes for a week or two of fishing every night, not for me.

I always went back to bailed reels based on the convenience and consistency. I have broken off plugs because of human casting error, but its few and far between and not a factor in my preference. Many speak of a bail being another part that can fail, true, in my experience , I have broken a bail spring 2-3 times in more than a year of Sundays of fishing time. Again, not a factor. I manually close my bail, peel off a foot of line and begin my retrieve, that is my preferred method and causes the least amount of issues. 

Of course many of the expensive waterproof reels are mostly manual and folks like to buy and own the most expensive and hopefully the best quality, thus their popularity. I've owned VS's, much like owning a boat, the 2 best days of owning a VS for me were the day I bought them and the day I sold them. Of course I didn't swim with them so I didn't need them. If your not dunking you don't need a waterproof reel.

Just another side and opinion, shared by many, but confirmed by few because.................. the reputation of the 706, VS's and ZeeBaas are hard to overcome and each has their place. Same as my bunch of Daiwa SS2600's, they have always performed for me and I have no reason to change other than to experiment. The Shimano Saragosa is a second pick for me, its probably a better built reel than the 2600, its also double the cost.

Now, for those that don't care about cost, buy em'all, you'll someday find what works best for you. Part of finding out what works best for me is affordability as well as reliability, then again I'm older and more frugal than most of todays consumers. 

I have decided to leave the bail and cut the piece on the stem. This reel has been in a box of other reels for a couple years so I have nothing to loose. Being bored I pulled it out and I think I'm going to give it a shot. If it casts OK I will set it up as a "guest" rod&reel. Maybe I will clean the bearings ect. 

I remember this reel casting great but lacks some of the features of modern reels. 

Something to do I guess........ 

8 hours ago, Highlander1 said:

Leave it alone and buy a bail less reel or have it professionally modified. My prediction, if your not an experienced manual user, you won't like it. I tried numerous times over a long period of time, sometimes for a week or two of fishing every night, not for me.

I always went back to bailed reels based on the convenience and consistency. I have broken off plugs because of human casting error, but its few and far between and not a factor in my preference. Many speak of a bail being another part that can fail, true, in my experience , I have broken a bail spring 2-3 times in more than a year of Sundays of fishing time. Again, not a factor. I manually close my bail, peel off a foot of line and begin my retrieve, that is my preferred method and causes the least amount of issues. 

Of course many of the expensive waterproof reels are mostly manual and folks like to buy and own the most expensive and hopefully the best quality, thus their popularity. I've owned VS's, much like owning a boat, the 2 best days of owning a VS for me were the day I bought them and the day I sold them. Of course I didn't swim with them so I didn't need them. If your not dunking you don't need a waterproof reel.

Just another side and opinion, shared by many, but confirmed by few because.................. the reputation of the 706, VS's and ZeeBaas are hard to overcome and each has their place. Same as my bunch of Daiwa SS2600's, they have always performed for me and I have no reason to change other than to experiment. The Shimano Saragosa is a second pick for me, its probably a better built reel than the 2600, its also double the cost.

Now, for those that don't care about cost, buy em'all, you'll someday find what works best for you. Part of finding out what works best for me is affordability as well as reliability, then again I'm older and more frugal than most of todays consumer 

RRBF, Several years ago I decided to try using spinning tackle in the Canal. I had an old Penn 750 that I figured I could use to see if I liked it. But like you I recalled having issues upon occasion where the force of the cast would cause the rotor to turn and the bail would hit the bail trip on the reel stem with enough force to close the bail. I think I read somewhere here of a solution to the problem. So I used a Dremel tool to cut off the offending bail trip. This solved the problem. I'm sure trimming back the bail trip on your Emblem would also be successful and save those precious $30 plugs. 

5 mins ago, snookster said:

RRBF, Several years ago I decided to try using spinning tackle in the Canal. I had an old Penn 750 that I figured I could use to see if I liked it. But like you I recalled having issues upon occasion where the force of the cast would cause the rotor to turn and the bail would hit the bail trip on the reel stem with enough force to close the bail. I think I read somewhere here of a solution to the problem. So I used a Dremel tool to cut off the offending bail trip. This solved the problem. I'm sure trimming back the bail trip on your Emblem would also be successful and save those precious $30 plugs. 

If it wasn't so cold I'd be in the garage doing this right now...... 

Thanks snookster

R.R. does the bail trip by turning the handle nor can it be tripped by using off hand? If only by turning the handle, you can make it to trip manually by doing this: Take out the screw that holds the bail spring and place a small washer right behind that screw and place it back....this will raise the device that holds the line roller enough to cause the spring to not function at all, just tighten the screw enough that you can manually operate the bail upon casting and close it manually for retrive. I have done this on several of my older spinners...just eliminate that spring and never have to worry about broken bail spring again. Think there is a post on the Main Forum under tricks and tweaks on how to do this.

1 hour ago, Waydown said:

R.R. does the bail trip by turning the handle nor can it be tripped by using off hand? If only by turning the handle, you can make it to trip manually by doing this: Take out the screw that holds the bail spring and place a small washer right behind that screw and place it back....this will raise the device that holds the line roller enough to cause the spring to not function at all, just tighten the screw enough that you can manually operate the bail upon casting and close it manually for retrive. I have done this on several of my older spinners...just eliminate that spring and never have to worry about broken bail spring again. Think there is a post on the Main Forum under tricks and tweaks on how to do this.

I will check it out thanks Waydown