Trout fishing, mono or braid?

Rate this topic

bob_G

On my ultra light spinning gear, I've always used mono. 2lb for driting eggs in rivers, 4lb for trout in ponds. 

Someone suggested I try 5lb braid instead. 5lb braid is thinner and stronger, and when fished with a floro leader is  better overall.

Advice?

The Sultan of Sluggo

I've tried braid for trout and here is my conclusion: unlike striper lure fishing where braid has multiple major advantages such as strength, fine diameter, hook setting power at a distance due to lack of stretch, improved reel capacity, etc, the hassle of tying a thin leader to thin braid is not worth it for trout.

2 or 4 lbs mono is my go to, I tried fireline and thin power pro. I had no improvement in hook ups and maybe a very small increase in casting distance. In retrospect, I feel more fish were lost due to trout's reverse gear (they can swim backwards a bit) with low stretch line than with than straight mono. 

As someone who has been their whole life I highly recommend braid.I have been useing braid for my trout setup now for about 2 years and it is the best thing ever. You can really detect the small bites that trout tend to have and hook setting is a lot easier.You don’t have to guess how hard to pull because of stretch and it makes even the small ones fun to fight.I highly recommend braid for trout.

50 mins ago, shark lobster said:

I use 8lb power pro to a 4 lb mono leader it casts better than mono its way more sensitive than mono , and if by chance you do get on a hugh fish you can power it in!

Chuck,

How does 8lb power pro compare in size to mono? In other words, is 8lb power pro like 4lb mono? This is going on a small reel and I'm trying to maximize distance.

The Sultan of Sluggo