jjdbike

Pizza Steel

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

In the real home made pizza thread,it was said that pizza steel is a game changer.

I did some poking around on line and that's pretty much the concensus.

I am looking at the Dough-Joe brand. It's rated highest on Amazon. They sell a 1/4", 1/2" & 3/8" version. I'm guessing that the thicker will hold & radiate more heat? Is that a safe assumption? Thicker is more money & heavier, but if one is going so far as to buy a steel, might as well get the best.

I believe these need to be seasoned like cast iron so they don't rust. Is that correct?

I read that placement in the oven (i.e. height) is important. Also read that some use a stone under their steel to act as a "heat sink" to keep steel hotter if doing multipule pies. I aslo read that some put a stone on shelf above to brown top from above. I read that the ultimate brwoning from above & below was the steel on top shelf & boiler on (if your oven has a top broiler).

Does anyone have any input, observations, advise or recomendation on pizza steels?

JD

I'd recommend that in choosing which steel you pay attention to matching it to your oven; in the fine print you will be advised to make sure there is enough space between the edges of the steel and the walls of the oven to not restrict circulation of air. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Heard thicker is best, but i couldn't tell you since i've only ever made pizza with one steel.  Not even sure how thick it is.  Definitely not 1/4.  WHat i have is heavy and awkward enough to handle as it is.  Takes forever for it to cool so it'll likely spend the night in the oven and the wife bitching about it the next day because she needs to use the oven and there's a big heavy steel in it. You have to realize you're not in the pizza business and just trying to make a decent home made pie in your own house.

Also, mine was never seasoned.  I just rinse and dry it after each use.   Better to focus on your technique and the dough than worry about steels because ultimately you're just baking it in a crappy home oven.

Edited by Fly By Nite

It certainly is unwieldy, mine has stayed in awhile and seems to affect how the oven preheats(takes a little longer.) 

43 mins ago, rollincoal said:

I'd recommend that in choosing which steel you pay attention to matching it to your oven; in the fine print you will be advised to make sure there is enough space between the edges of the steel and the walls of the oven to not restrict circulation of air. 

Do you remember how much space is needed?

Is it just the walls? What about space from top? That might come into play if using top broiler.

10 mins ago, rollincoal said:

It certainly is unwieldy, mine has stayed in awhile and seems to affect how the oven preheats(takes a little longer.) 

Rollin, did you mention that you have a 3/8" thick?

I was considering going right to the 1/2" but it's 32lbs.

I wonder what that might do to my oven rack? 

I'm assuming the biggest benefit to the very thickest steels is when doing multipul pies?

JD

8 mins ago, jjdbike said:

Do you remember how much space is needed?

Is it just the walls? What about space from top? That might come into play if using top broiler.

Rollin, did you mention that you have a 3/8" thick?

I was considering going right to the 1/2" but it's 32lbs.

I wonder what that might do to my oven rack? 

I'm assuming the biggest benefit to the very thickest steels is when doing multipul pies?

JD

I have my steel as high as possible(second slot I think, otherwise the puffy pizza would have hit the top, LOL!)

I forget how much space is needed, Ill try and look it up, but I had to really look around for something that fit my oven.

I have the 3/8" thick and as I said before I think it might be overkill unless cooking multiple pies in succession. 

I did try the broiler in my electric oven but my wife accidentally nudged the door closed ultimately sending the oven into shutdown with error codes, and I've been afraid to try that again.

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 mins ago, rollincoal said:

I have my steel as high as possible(second slot I think, otherwise the puffy pizza would have hit the top, LOL!)

I forget how much space is needed, Ill try and look it up, but I had to really look around for something that fit my oven.

I have the 3/8" thick and as I said before I think it might be overkill unless cooking multiple pies in succession. 

I did try the broiler in my electric oven but my wife accidentally nudged the door closed ultimately sending the oven into shutdown with error codes, and I've been afraid to try that again.

Thanks man,

good info to know.

So if you’re saying 3/8” is overkill, 1/2” would be flat out stupidly.

JD

Edited by jjdbike

Before the steel I never tried a regular stone at the top of the oven so I cant exactly compare their performance, but i will not be going back to the regular stone, the steel one is delivering pizza that is pretty damn good, everyone who has eaten the pies are impressed. My son prefers my pie to store bought, and before he never ate the crust and now its his favorite part.

11 mins ago, rollincoal said:

Dough-Joe is recommending 2" of clearance around the edges.

My pies will fit a large dinner plate.  Not much larger than that so i see no reason to fill the oven with steel.  

Pizza steels are excellent 1/8" ok 1/4" better. Remember you must get a wood peal to make the pizza on and slide onto the steel. Dust the Peal with flour or cornmeal make the pie, not to heavy on the toppings or it will be hard to slide off, don't make the pie till the steel is hot and ready 45 min or more, slide pizza onto steel don't wait or it can stick to the peal. As said wood peal not metal it is much more difficult to slide off with metal peal. Oh BOY BEST CRUST EVER !

I have a metal peel to remove the pies when done.  The wood peel is used to top it and slide it onto the steel for baking.  Using a wood peel was a game changer for me.  You have to heavily flour a metal peel and work quickly to top your pies. It's not impossible to do, but then you end up with a coating of flour under your pies which isn't great.  If you have a metal peel use a strainer to sprinkle the lightest coating of flour on the peel and try to get as much coverage as possible. Its not ideal but can be done if you don't have access to a wood peel.  With the wood peel there is very little flour on the steel to burn.  If you're making pizza on a steel you really need a wood peel to do it right.

55 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

I have a metal peel to remove the pies when done.  The wood peel is used to top it and slide it onto the steel for baking.  Using a wood peel was a game changer for me.  You have to heavily flour a metal peel and work quickly to top your pies. It's not impossible to do, but then you end up with a coating of flour under your pies which isn't great.  If you have a metal peel use a strainer to sprinkle the lightest coating of flour on the peel and try to get as much coverage as possible. Its not ideal but can be done if you don't have access to a wood peel.  With the wood peel there is very little flour on the steel to burn.  If you're making pizza on a steel you really need a wood peel to do it right.

Wow,

good info there.

so you’re saying wood peel only requires a very light dusting of flour or cornmeal, as opposed to requiring a heavier layer for metal peel which would burn on the hot steel?

i typically use cornmeal on the wooden peel, is flour better?

Thanks!

JD