Chipnice

Beast flies and other oversized flies

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

On 2/19/2019 at 9:25 AM, Chipnice said:

I’m afraid I’m afraid the envelopes would flatten the flies too much. 

only until they hit the water,then they're back to normal

The sling version I am having made for me basically last a large wallet style pouch with dividers. Goal is carrying 5 large flies up to up to 14 inches long and has a pouch for a more normal sized saltwater fly box, along with room for spare spools and other key items.

Slip and Slide I agree with you. I carried many flies in bags and when back in the water they were fine. I picked up some 7"x12" 4 mil bags but have to make a wallet for them, since nobody sells one. I intend to bring 5 or 6 flies when I go fishing. Most of the time I can leave them in my truck, since I can drive on the beach, but when I fish the jetty I will take the big flies with me. I am going to try to to use a Seal A Meal to to seal about 1/2" - 1" longways on the plastic bags and install some grommets to use a ring to hold the bags in a wallet. I will let you know how it goes when I am done. 

TGS great postings. Look forward to more.

Gil

I got my setup to try this year. I have 10"x6" (storage area inside bags) 4 mil resealable bags and a Hogy 5 pocket roll up. Looks to me like it will work fine for what I want to do. The bags fit perfect in each pocket. I just won't store too many at a time. I stored other flies for years in bags and when they hit the water they were fine. Hopefully that will hold true for my beast flies. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 2/18/2019 at 3:47 PM, GilV said:

Good question! I am planning to tie up a bunch for this year and fishing them a lot. I am going to ask Bob Popovics what he uses, he is in my club. In the meantime I am going to watch this thread closely. He is now making articulated Beasts. They are still very lite with the articulated shanks he is using. I am going to try both, but his original has a lot of motion without the articulated shanks.

For storing spares in my truck, I am making a box with wire strands running through it at the top and using Paper clips to hang them on the wire with one end of the clip through the eye of the hook. Going to make small loops in the wire so they don't slide around in the box, by putting the other end of the paper clip through the loop. Going to use that for other large flies I tie also. Probably going to use one of the smaller deep clear plastic storage containers with the top.

Thanks

Gil

Gil post pictures of that truck box.  I need to make one for my car to go with my plug crate.

There is a commercial musky fly box but the price tag is crazy high your solution sounds very similar

Edited by The Graveyard Shift

Posted (edited) · Report post

I put that project on hold, since I picked up a Plano 791502 Gig Game Tackle Box. It is huge. It was on sale at Fishusa for $67.99 plus $10 shipping. It has 40 slots that are 12" deep and 2.25" square. I was going to use it for plugs but I found something better for plugs, so I am using this instead of building one. I intend to use paper clips through the hook eye and hang them in the slots.

For plugs I am going to make a box out of a Staples milk crate and build it like the Lordship Lures video on Youtube. That is a neat setup and can be customized how ever you need it. That would also be great for carrying all sized flies in the truck. In that video he also made a neat way to carry jigs, which could be used for smaller flies. You could even use that idea to place the cut out 4" wide plastic drain pipes in a clear deep plastic container with a lid and use that. I can't come up with stuff like this, that is why I will never be rich!. Ha!  

Check these out. If I didn't already have the Plano I would build these crates for both plugs and flies. The Plano was shipped with one of the wires missing from the hinge. If I can return it I will and use Lorship's idea.

The other nice thing is you can wash down all your equipment at once right in the crate and leave it there to dry.

Gil

Edited by GilV

On 2/25/2019 at 9:17 AM, GilV said:

Slip and Slide I agree with you. I carried many flies in bags and when back in the water they were fine. I picked up some 7"x12" 4 mil bags but have to make a wallet for them, since nobody sells one. I intend to bring 5 or 6 flies when I go fishing. Most of the time I can leave them in my truck, since I can drive on the beach, but when I fish the jetty I will take the big flies with me. I am going to try to to use a Seal A Meal to to seal about 1/2" - 1" longways on the plastic bags and install some grommets to use a ring to hold the bags in a wallet. I will let you know how it goes when I am done. 

TGS great postings. Look forward to more.

Gil

Gil thanks will fish this sling hard this year.  If it works out well will pass on the results.  Its going to be an upgrade from last seasons strategy 

These are big flies that I purchased to test this year in addition to my own flies.  As you can see a special carrying solution was in order to scramble jetties and jump waves.

02D1D1FF-291A-45AB-A967-9FDCC31D2906.jpeg

7E895E2E-F098-46B2-8954-C7FEBBA961E4.jpeg

AE70D830-57A9-4CD3-804A-7C0219886ACF.jpeg

TGS in my other thread about tails I couldn't post a picture. I had to do a screen print and it wouldn't load in SOL. I am trying to make an articulated Beast fly with a tail like your bunker fly with the black tail. What did you use for the tail in that fly? I haven't seen really big bunker in my area in a long time. Our bunker are between 6" and 10" and that is how big I am going to build mine.

Thanks

Gil

PS - I sent back the Plano and I don't think it work that well with these flies. I picked up the Walmart file crate that was in the Lordship video. I am going to make a crate like that. The Walmart crate was $6. The Staples crate I saw like the one he used was $48. I am going to Key West next week. When I get back I will build that crate, some Beast flies and post pictures here.

26 mins ago, GilV said:

TGS in my other thread about tails I couldn't post a picture. I had to do a screen print and it wouldn't load in SOL. I am trying to make an articulated Beast fly with a tail like your bunker fly with the black tail. What did you use for the tail in that fly? I haven't seen really big bunker in my area in a long time. Our bunker are between 6" and 10" and that is how big I am going to build mine.

Thanks

Gil

PS - I sent back the Plano and I don't think it work that well with these flies. I picked up the Walmart file crate that was in the Lordship video. I am going to make a crate like that. The Walmart crate was $6. The Staples crate I saw like the one he used was $48. I am going to Key West next week. When I get back I will build that crate, some Beast flies and post pictures here.

Gil,

Ian Devlin made that fly.  He uses a long stiff mono extension to get tail at back of fly.  The tail appears to be made from putting his kinky fibers into clear silicone then cutting to shape.  he does not put silicone over the middle of tail fork so he can tie those fibers onto the mono extenstion.

Another option is to buy the "double tail" attractor tails.  I get mine from nightmare musky.  I am working on a Conomo special version with a trailer hook and the double tail off the trailer hook to simulate the herrings tail.  I will post it once complete sometime next week.

I have a ton of kinky fiber and was thinking about using that. I will give them a try. Is the rest of the fly tied like a hollow fly?

I am going to try this silicone. It looks like the clearest I have found. 

Thanks

Gil

100_1480.JPG

I went to his Facebook page and he has two good pictures of the fly. I can see how he made the tails. I am going with that for now.

Thanks again, as always you were a great help.

Gil