Chipnice

Beast flies and other oversized flies

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

I was wondering what guys are using to carry their oversized flies out to rips when wade fishing. I have a couple beast flies in tubes that barely fit in my sling pack. I hate wearing a backpack (cervical issues) 

thanks 

I could not find a good solution so I am having a custom sling made by Scott at Vedavoo.  If it works out well I will post a report in June.  Its the same chasis but very different layout specific to my big flies and gear needs for night fly fishing for stripers

3 mins ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

I could not find a good solution so I am having a custom sling made by Scott at Vedavoo.  If it works out well I will post a report in June.  Its the same chasis but very different layout specific to my big flies and gear needs for night fly fishing for stripers

I am a big fan of Vedavoo products.  Well thought out and well designed. 

However, I just use a plastic sandwich bag for big flies.  I also have golf visor where the sponsor's name made a great spot to sew on a patch of wool.  It can look crazy with a few big flies on it, but it works.  

Good question! I am planning to tie up a bunch for this year and fishing them a lot. I am going to ask Bob Popovics what he uses, he is in my club. In the meantime I am going to watch this thread closely. He is now making articulated Beasts. They are still very lite with the articulated shanks he is using. I am going to try both, but his original has a lot of motion without the articulated shanks.

For storing spares in my truck, I am making a box with wire strands running through it at the top and using Paper clips to hang them on the wire with one end of the clip through the eye of the hook. Going to make small loops in the wire so they don't slide around in the box, by putting the other end of the paper clip through the loop. Going to use that for other large flies I tie also. Probably going to use one of the smaller deep clear plastic storage containers with the top.

Thanks

Gil

Posted (edited) · Report post

29 mins ago, Captain Tuttle said:

I am a big fan of Vedavoo products.  Well thought out and well designed. 

However, I just use a plastic sandwich bag for big flies.  I also have golf visor where the sponsor's name made a great spot to sew on a patch of wool.  It can look crazy with a few big flies on it, but it works.  

That was my strategy last year actually. It works but I lost some flies including one from Andrew which is a very expensive loss.  This will have a place for all my gear not just those flies.  Its a true custom solution.  Was glad Scott was willing to take it on.  i reaches out to several other companies but no interest until Scott.  This is my main way I fish now so its worth paying for exactly what I want.

Edited by The Graveyard Shift

6 hours ago, Chipnice said:

I was wondering what guys are using to carry their oversized flies out to rips when wade fishing. I have a couple beast flies in tubes that barely fit in my sling pack. I hate wearing a backpack (cervical issues) 

thanks 

put the flies on dual snap in 7" plasic bag and put that in one galon bag,you can put defrent style in 7" bag and put all in one goalon bag ,this way all flies are in one bag.

Hoping to find something like this that is big enough. They don't give the size. I would like to find one that you can add additional bags if needed.

71FFH-HxNJL._SL1500_.jpg

I carry my big flies in plastic packaging tubes. You can buy them from Uline. They come is all different sizes from 1/“x6” to 2”x12”. They do take up space, but they keep your flies well and the maintain they’re shape perfectly. 

D4AF82CE-AC7E-49E7-A6FB-3A664F35CA8E.png

Edited by Matt7082

I found what I am going to make a large fly binder out of for my future Beast flies. Berkley 1490 Bait Binder Bags. They are 13x9. I would like to find some around 6x12. If I can't find a thin binder like the one in my above picture I will make one.

If anyone knows of a source for the above bags in a different size, please let me know.

berkley.jpg

Edited by GilV

26 mins ago, GilV said:

I found what I am going to make a large fly binder out of for my future Beast flies. Berkley 1490 Bait Binder Bags. They are 13x9. I would like to find some around 6x12. If I can't find a thin binder like the one in my above picture I will make one.

If anyone knows of a source for the above bags in a different size, please let me know.

berkley.jpg

Berkeley isn't the only company to make those,check out the other mfgrs options to see if they have what you need

17 hours ago, GilV said:

Hoping to find something like this that is big enough. They don't give the size. I would like to find one that you can add additional bags if needed.

71FFH-HxNJL._SL1500_.jpg

I’m afraid I’m afraid the envelopes would flatten the flies too much. 

17 hours ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

That was my strategy last year actually. It works but I lost some flies including one from Andrew which is a very expensive loss.  This will have a place for all my gear not just those flies.  Its a true custom solution.  Was glad Scott was willing to take it on.  i reaches out to several other companies but no interest until Scott.  This is my main way I fish now so its worth paying for exactly what I want.

The Beast sling looks great.  I could probably get a a few tubes in there and a couple crab shacks

The photo of the binder above is from Reaction Tackle. I put a question to them about the size and it is 4.5" x 8". They told me they are designing a larger bag, which will be out in the summer. I am going to try the current model. At $9.99 free shipping I have nothing to loose.

I know it sounds crazy and unorthodox, but I don’t baby my Beasts and often just chuck ‘em into a pocket on my pack. While it surely roughs them up a bit, the saltwater straightens things out perfectly and the fleye looks just as good as it did after being tied.