Domer98

Jigging with a Tekota 500

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Was looking to get the Tekota 500 to jig for Stripers off of NJ and pair with a travels rod. Is the 500 to big or acceptable for intended use. Thanks in adavance. 

Edited by Domer98

If it’s the 15.5 oz, 6.:31 version why not. Also depends on what type of jig. It won’t however take the place of a non LW narrow spool reel.

I assume you're talking about the older, grey/silver, low gear 500 and not the new blue HG.

Fantastic reel that can be used for trolling and bottom fishing. 

It's actually the same weight as the current saltist star drag (black and blue, not silver levelwind 20HA that's heavy as ****). Which is only an ounce more than the saliga 15.So from that standpoint, it's actually very light. I've owned a few.

They are a bit taller which makes them look and feel a bit bulkier. And I agree, the levelwind probably isn't the best idea. You'd also want to eventually upgrade the drag washers to carbon.

You can get away with it jigging, but if you're squidding, the 4.7 ratio is probably too slow unless your're reeling really fast. The new HG would be better in that sense...but...levelwind. Look at the Torium 14 or Saltist 15 maybe? They're all in the same price range and are all quality reels.

Edited by Jewjitzu

If it’s the new Tekota-A series I dig it. Hi speed baby! I wish I can pull up a schematic with it to see if it had brakes but probably not. Seems to be made for jigging.  The thumb may be able to tame it if not maybe changing the lube in the bearings can slow it down or just add a mag. 

I wish these manufacturers would add a mag option right out of the factory. I get there maybe be butterfly jiggers buying this reel but eventually most all will want to cast at some point. 

This new A will compete with Diawa Saltist 20-30 size LW. 

1E7B6241-5E42-4645-99CA-EAEF13852872.png

Edited by The Riddler

2 mins ago, The Riddler said:

If it’s the new Tekota-A series I dig it. Hi speed baby! I wish I can pull up a schematic with it to see if it had brakes but probably not. Seems to be made for jigging.  The thumb may be able to tame it if not maybe changing the lube in the bearings can slow it down or just add a mag. 

I wish these manufacturers would add a mag option right out of the factory. I get there maybe be butterfly jiggers buying this reel but eventually most all will want to cast at some point. 

This new A will compete with Diawa Saltist 20-30 size LW. 

1E7B6241-5E42-4645-99CA-EAEF13852872.png

The Tekota line wasn't really geared towards jigging. They've always been known as a trolling reel (hence the LC models). The Torium is the jigger because it doesn't have the level wind.

The new model is miles past the current saltist levelwind which is older, heavier, and doesn't have the same drag output. And those old handles are horrible.

As an fyi, the Saltist has built in centrifugal breaks.I do not believe anything else in that category or price range has breaks other than the spool tension nob. You'd be looking at an avet sx mc? which would cost more for the option. 

torium.JPG

Thanks for that updated information.  Maybe someone will get the redesigned Tekota  A and see if it can cast well. That’s how the Saltist started. 

I think reel handles upgrades are ones taste.  Certainly not a must. In fact here are two of my D Saltist 20’s.  Coming up on its 7 or 8th season.  One has an Accurate handle upgrade the other one is stock.  Both purchased around the same time and used for plugging and jiggin’.  I used both and didn’t seek out another Accurate ball.  In fact I like the paddle handle more. 

As far as I know the Saltists  reels were created for trolling? My old Saltist LW 20’s don’t have brakes.   Glad they put in centrifugal brakes now for those that need em.   Agree they have the LC counter option just like the Tekota you let me know about. But many of us have used the Saltist for jiggin  and plugging.

6E962305-AE44-450C-8CB5-D72756323BC6.jpeg

3D63A98D-95D5-4E5B-82B6-00FDEFBF2C57.jpeg