viper2788

Surf Rod Handle Components

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I'm getting a rodgeeks surf rod built by my local rod builder and I'm debating a bit about a few components. Said rod builder mostly builds inshore blanks and the surf rods he builds are mostly kits from Mudhole. First off, I don't like the foam "winding checks" that are often used on either side of the reel seat and would like to opt for something a bit more sleek. I'm looking at some of my factory surf rods and they seem to have those trims specifically built for the rod. What are some choices that I have for winding checks and where can I buy them? Also, for the grips I'm thinking about getting the 1/16th inch cork wrap and then having rubber shrink tube over it.. what do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

Lots of options. If this is a friend building you a rod that's one thing, but I'd have serious reservations about a builder that's still using kits.

20180123_094102.jpg

12 hours ago, PhilCVG said:

Here is a FiberStar I just finished. I think his is “sleek” and clean looking. It’s just small thread and epoxy ramps. 

F794FA6F-3A3B-475E-99B6-2E127B14AC4F.jpeg.349125975cd619163705ac33ef4e75aa.jpeg

Looks great! Is it just a single layer of thread and then the epoxy ramp built over? Also, how well does it hold up over time?

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 mins ago, viper2788 said:

Looks great! Is it just a single layer of thread and then the epoxy ramp built over? Also, how well does it hold up over time?

Thanks.

It is a single layer on the backside of the seat, and three or four layers on the front end. And two to three light layers of epoxy. 

So far it is held up as well or better than any other method I tried. Four or five guys on here are fishing rods I've done that way and I haven't heard any complaints or seen any rods post use that made me cringe. I can upload some more pics of older rods done this way to see what they look like after a few seasons. 

Edited by PhilCVG

Vipe

The reason to go to a Rod Builder is so that they can add real value to your rod. That is value in terms of real knowledge and how to design the lay out and help / guide you through component selection. Key is reel seat position and guides and their layout.

In short answer all the questions you are asking us on here.

If you don’t know and he does not know what you going to end up with.

Might be worth a re think.

1 hour ago, Mike Oliver said:

Vipe

The reason to go to a Rod Builder is so that they can add real value to your rod. That is value in terms of real knowledge and how to design the lay out and help / guide you through component selection. Key is reel seat position and guides and their layout.

In short answer all the questions you are asking us on here.

If you don’t know and he does not know what you going to end up with.

Might be worth a re think.

I chose the butt length relative to some 9ft st croix surf rods and I have faith my rod builder will know the proper guide spacing. My main concern is the lack of handle components as mudhole is the main site he buys from and their selection is very limited when it comes to surf rods. I dont wanna have to spend a couple hundred bucks and have it looking like one of their kit rods

Edited by viper2788

If there are some rod styles that you like, post some pictures so we can get an idea of what you are looking at.

Alot of my surf rod handles consist of some mixture of EVA, cork tape, heat shrink, rubber hosel and some epoxy ramps.

22 hours ago, pinoyesv6 said:

If there are some rod styles that you like, post some pictures so we can get an idea of what you are looking at.

Alot of my surf rod handles consist of some mixture of EVA, cork tape, heat shrink, rubber hosel and some epoxy ramps.

Something clean like this mojo surf as far as handle components go. (on either side of the reel seat)

Rubber hosel was the word I needed to search lol Can you recommend me a place to buy them from? I'm researching them now also. I want something other than big foamy grips around the reel seat and on top of the foregrip. Thanks.

STCXMSS.jpg

Hosel-Header.jpg

Edited by viper2788

If I had to tell him how to build the handle and he uses kits to build his rods, I’d spend my money with another builder. Any confident rod builder should be capable of giving you options  like this if he builds surf rods. 

12 hours ago, viper2788 said:

Something clean like this mojo surf as far as handle components go. (on either side of the reel seat)

Rubber hosel was the word I needed to search lol Can you recommend me a place to buy them from? I'm researching them now also. I want something other than big foamy grips around the reel seat and on top of the foregrip. Thanks.

STCXMSS.jpg

Hosel-Header.jpg

Mudhole sells those as Black Vinyl Winding Checks. Unless you know the reel seat size and diameter of the blank around the seat you'll need to buy an assortment and see what works. 

Here is an idea. If you like your foregrip thick, You can ask the builder to match the fore grip with the reel seat or getting it very close and build a small transitional epoxy ramp. I personally hate very thin foregrips, hand cramps up easily when fighting fish. you'll have a smooth transition without the need for winding checks.   

Btw, those winding check are there because st.croix want to speed up the building process and save labor, thus reduce cost.  Nothing more. I would hate to see a custom builder do a similar job on a custom rod.  

Edited by hobobob

Follow up:

Unfortunately, you guys were right... a number of things went wrong. Biggest one being the guide spacing... He used an 11ft guide layout on my 9ft rod although we had discussed otherwise initially... you can imagine the small gap from the stripper guide to the reel seat. It wont work well, esp my with Saragosa. Handle components also didnt turn out as expect... and there are other issues.

I decided to just redo the rod myself... got rid of the winding checks and just removed all the guides today.