GraniteStRockfish

Low Profile Baitcasters for Surf?

Rate this topic

82 posts in this topic

im considering buying but thinking they maybe limited or too niche versus the conventionals (Abus + Fathoms) i already have

- attracted to the drag ratings and retrieve speeds for shore fishing tight around man made structure, bridge embutments, pillings, piers, etc.

- but dont want a one trick pony

is there be any point to putting one on a 10ft rod?

with 40 or 50# braid, would i run into line capacity / casting distance constraints?

open to anyones general experiences with them or how they compare to regular conventionals

thanks

I have been using low profile baitcasters for years.

usually use 20-30lb braid but have a lexa 400 with 50 lb braid.

more then enough capacity

Posted (edited) · Report post

What you have now is more than what you need.

Even with 40 or 50 pound braid a 6500 size abu

holds plenty of line capacity. Perfect for your 10' rod!

Edited by SandSpike1

I tried one of the Abu lp reels years ago for distance surf casting, it was the Revo Toro Winch 60. The setup was with a 10’ rod and 65lb braid. Salt water did get in, so I had to clean it, as in complete break down, every week. The real was not dunked, but I think water came off the line on the spool and into the side plates. Other than that, it held up well, the drag was good, and the casting was ok. I probably never hit a fish that took the reel to it’s limits. I sold it to a local Muskie fisherman after two seasons.

The Revo could not hit the distances my 7000 or 6500 Abu round reel could. It was rated I think at 30lbs of drag, I doubt I ever needed more than 10, maybe 15 tops. They are very smooth and it would take effort to backlash it. I don’t know except for the Abu inshore models, whether they are salt resistant.

I fished an Abu inshore on a 8’6 casting rod for years before selling it here. It was a little rough at the end, but it still worked well. I never used it for anything except casts of less than 50 yards and off piers. I don’t remember any internal salt markings on the drags, gears or bearings.

thanks for the feedback

komodo, revo, and lexa all among the models im looking at

im not looking to distance cast the things, but capacitys with 50# and up seemed on the lower side

main purpose would be trying to winch good sized stripers away from hazards in quick order, with current

but dont wanna run out of line or have to switch outfits if i wanted to throw jigs or bucktails out into the main flow

wondering how much advantage these reels would provide over Abu 7000s or Fathom 15 type conventionals

interesting point on the maintenance, im decent about doing maintenance but definitely not looking to service the thing weekly

my general impression is that with the compactness, tolerances get tighter, and lose some durability versus a simpler, more traditional round reel ?

thanks again

I love them!  fished every single one other than someof the abu variants but I did fish the revo toro winch.

They're all awesome for beach duty just be careful about sand and spray.

I'm especially curious about the concept z3 as the standard concept z survived a few dunkints and no maintenance at all whatsoever.  

I fished it for a bit in the fall but not enough to tell if it's on the level of the tranx, komodo, lexa hd in terms of survivability.  

They're all good options.  No need in my opinion to go with the 400$ abu over the others at under 300$

I like the externally adjustable reels.  After putting more time on them compared to the tranx, komodo and Z3 but if you just set the brakes on 2 or 3 and never touche em again you'll not even miss it.  (i finagle with brakes often since I move often and certain areas face difference directions and winds change.  So removing sideplates kinda sucks to ge at em. )  If you frequently change plugs and locations.....that sideplate removal is a definite weakness in the surf especially if it's snotty out.

Like was already stated.  The water drips will find its way in on the low profiles. It’s a lot of  maintenance weekly or risk replacing expensive parts.  

I feel Round reels like the Calcutta and Conquest hold up better. But these too need maintenance just not nearly as much as the low pro.  

3 hours ago, FISH BUCKET said:

I have been using low profile baitcasters for years.

usually use 20-30lb braid but have a lexa 400 with 50 lb braid.

more then enough capacity

But no clicker iffin you're bait fishing

It’s all good until you have to pick out some ‘ professional overrun’, the LW can impact the cast. For me they cast best with 50-65# braid, at that point I just stuck with 15-17#mono. The reels are so small it’s easy to have a spare in the bag!

Short of the Tranx 500, the Komodo 471SS has the highest line capacity of the large baitcasters, 300yds of 65lb sufix 832. This is more line then the Fathom 15 will hold.

The amount of stainless steel inside this reel alone goes a long way to increasing long term durability and is an asset when you want to straight crank anything away from anything. Okuma has introduced a Komodo 471SS with a stock extended power handle as many anglers, myself included, do use this reel as a winch on fish. Guys actually buy power handles used on conventional reels to put on the Komodo reels just because the reel fits the role of a legit lowprofile winch that well.

Aside from that, becareful using any lowpro on a sandy beach. Beyond dropping a lowpro into the wash, a good preuse lube job and quick freshwater rinse after every outting should be sufficent to keep a low pro running.