Working Class Wood

Rate this topic

valentine

Who makes good, affordable wooden lures that the average fisherman can actually afford to fish with? I'm not talking about artisan plugs with automotive quality finishes that guys get into fights over trying to grab the last one off a show table. Gibbs has to be at the top of my list because their wares are readily available, they're affordable and they actually catch fish. I also have a bunch of Gags  plugs which were cheap when I bought them and have produced well for me. Tattoos are supposed to be back in production but I haven't seen them sold anywhere yet. Habs were great and affordable but since regular production ceased prices of whats still available went through the roof.  Bob  Hahns were good and affordable but  I'm not sure if they are even produced anymore. I used to buy Striper Delight poppers by the dozen. Cheaply made, cheap to buy and man did they catch fish. Haven't seen them in stores in a while, either. I don't have any experience with imported wood like Tsunami but I think they look cheap and question their quality. So, whats everyone's thought on "working class wood?" Who makes it? Where do you get it? How do you fish it?

Lex

For all I break Scotty's stones, his plugs catch fish

Edited by Sudsy

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

jigman, in the bst?

Having made a few hundred plugs, and having been a working man, I realized that I could make x2$ for 1/2 the skill/knowledge hanging clapboard siding. Sure, broomstick poppers catch and are easy/cheap  to make...but how many of them could a builder sell?

I have definitely had 'the' reaction....I've seen $50 gliders at shows, and said "who would pay $50 for a lure?!" So, I made my own. After a few failed attempts, I arrived at a good prototype. Even then, considering jigsaw, beltsander, drill, handsanding, spraypaint, epoxy...I was looking at hrs per plug....plus materials. Not worth it. If I was a carpenter and I could make $30/hr hanging siding, and the costumer was paying for materials, why would I want to assume the risk of making plugs, that might not sell, for $10/hr (after all expenses)?

I think when we say 'workingman' we should consider who the workingman is. I've poured enough concrete slabs to know how easy I have it now, working for a major corp, getting good salary, having health care insurance, and retirement savings, etc.

What did Lefty always say ?

"I'd have made more money working at McDonalds !!"

Edited by Sudsy

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

For bargins you should definitely follow the BST forums here on SOL. Many makes and models from makers that sold originally at reasonable prices can be found here at bargain prices. As mentioned ,Lex, Gibbs , Gags and others always come up. 

Many sellers, like me , need to thin the herd and this is a good place to do it. You have an audience dedicated to fishing and it doesn't cost the seller to post as on other sites.