Gone2Fish

line
Braided line lifetime

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

What is the practical lifetime of good quality braided line on a rig?  I have had most of mine on (three brands and weights) on five rigs for this being the third season upcoming.  What is a reasonable lifetime for this braided material?

It's an individual thing and there are a number of variables which come into play. First, how much use does the line get? Every day? Then your're going to wear it out much faster. What does the line look like? Is it frayed? Is the color faded? Has the line gotten very soft compared to when you took it off its factory spool? Those are some signs to look for which indicate that braided line is wearing. Hey, we're all different. Some guys love it when their line fades and gets soft. 3 years on a reel isn't crazy for braid but I'd really look at it closely to make sure that it's still good. You can also get more mileage out of your braid by flipping it on the reel spool. Simply take the line off the reel and then re-spool it so that the line on the inside of the spool is now on the outside. Some people frown on that practice but it has worked very well for me. I have yet to have a striper spool me and I'd be tickled if it happened and the line broke where it was more worn. Like I said, 3 years of use for braid could still mean that the line is quite good but you'll have to really look at it.

Also factor in where you do most of your fishing. I mostly fish in very rocky areas or over really rough bottom, so the braid is going to get beaten up much faster than if I did most of my fishing over sand. YMMV. In my case, I'm looking to at least reverse my line after 2-3 years or even replace it if I've cut back the business end of  the braid enough times to affect casting distance.

Braided line will last indefinitely, save wear and tear.

Beyond that, so long as you take care to use sufficiently long enough mono leaders to protect the braided main line and minimize line attrition, a spool with braided main line will last as long as you are ok with the amount of line left on the spool.

18 hours ago, Gone2Fish said:

What is the practical lifetime of good quality braided line on a rig?  I have had most of mine on (three brands and weights) on five rigs for this being the third season upcoming.  What is a reasonable lifetime for this braided material?

God does not subtract from a man's time on earth that time a man spends fishing.

What I can't figure out is why everyone on here is always bitching about the price of braid then they get several years/seasons out of it. I'm lucky to get more than a month out of my primary reels so look for the best valued line out there. Rocks, structure, heavy fishing, and googan tangles don't give line much life

9 hours ago, dennysnook said:

What I can't figure out is why everyone on here is always bitching about the price of braid then they get several years/seasons out of it. I'm lucky to get more than a month out of my primary reels so look for the best valued line out there. Rocks, structure, heavy fishing, and googan tangles don't give line much life

I think when I started using braid, I didn't realize that it lasted so much longer than mono. I'm sure that I changed the first few spools of braid prematurely. Ah  well,  live and learn. I get plenty of mileage out of my braid these days.

If you’ve ever seen an MRI of a bad shoulder, you will see nice smooth muscle next to an area that looks like crabmeat.  The crabmeat is what happens when the smooth fibers start to unravel, usually from wear and tear with age or an area of old stress degenerating faster than the rest.

When my braid gets the crabmeat appearance, and starts looking fuzzy over it’s castable length, it’s time for new braid.

The last time my shoulder looked like crab-meat, I had it replaced with SS and High Density something or the other!  That's my dominant arm.  Had it replaced just so I could throw surf poles!  Believe it!!  So, when my line looks like that I will replace it with, new stuff.  Thanks.  Good comment.  Visual rules!