Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thumb-Burner

Okuma Inspira vs. Epixor any experience??

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Looking to pick up an inexpensive reel and have narrowed to these two?  any thoughts?  anyone tried both..   specs are about the same except inspira is lighter.  I had good luck with an inspira 10+ years ago..   will be getting the 40 size and using on a 7' rod for bucktailing for flounders..  likely 15# j braid for line.

I think the epixor  is one of the best reels on the market for the money.

Been fishing one on and off for the past year.  Told Elias V to buy one and he's been crushing monster reds with his for months now.

And for 50$.  Nothing comes close.

It's rock solid and very smooth.  Line lay is great and I like the bail mechanisms feel better than a stella.   

Only thing I don't like is the hex handle but hey.....for a street price of around 40 to 55$ it's a throw away.

I had an issue with one.  And ended up after failing to repair it replacing it.  And have been pleased with the replacement since.

A suggestion would be to salt treat the weakspots to ensure longer like new performance.

https://amzn.to/2TUbXrI

Have two of the Epixors in 55 and 65 sizes.  Best cheap reel I own.  Seem to keep working smooth after getting pretty beat up.   They made several versions.  The ones I have are the light sliver grey without the baitrunner feature.  Line lay with 30lb to 40lb braid is pretty decent and more even than the Salinas which were a more expensive reel.  I use a Salina 55min freshwater for salmon but trust the Epixors more in salt.  The retrieve rate is not super fast but fine for most gamefish other than Roosterfish.  The spool geometry worksgreat with most stock 8' to 11' rods.

Years ago, when I used spinning reels, I had both.  The Inspira was good but the Epixor 65 was better. I used them all the time for two seasons for big bass and blues. That Epixor was still good internally when I gave it away.

The Epixor needs frequent lube jobs and came with a side plate gasket that should be used.  Both reels are aces!