Teak

New surf rod

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Just want to add a few words: if you are using this rod mainly for top water lures like sp minnow, popper, or even the sinking ones like needle fish and darters, the moderate-fast action ODM rod will generate a better pattern when you  retrieve them. St croix legend is a faster action rod, it will probably do better with bucktails. also, a sower action will better dispense the force from the fish when you are fighting it. 

Both those rods are rated mod fast. Personally I don't like using a faster action rod with pencils. I can't get them to dance properly and I've had too many fish spit the pencil. You might want to try a faster action rod with a pencil before you commit. For pencils I've found the century stealth to be great, but I don't like it with a lot of other lures. A lamiglas gsb works a pencil very good also and is better with a lot of other lures. 

I had the legend 10' 1-4, it was a nice rod and handled fine but I wasn't in love so I sold it.. I think they spent a little too much on components that don't actually make much of a difference.. those torzite titanium guides arent really anything special IMHO, just priced 10x higher than the same guide in stainless and alconite.. torzite and titanium isnt going to make u cast any further, catch bigger fish, work a plug better, or crack a ring any less easily.. titanium frames are nice in that they weigh fraction less than the steel frames and wont rust.. but I've never noticed my standard stainless and alconite guides to be heavy and I have rods many years old without a spot of rust on the frames.. 

I was hell bent on the frontier-x this past fall.. I wanted the 10'6 blank and was planning to cut it down to 10' before doing the build.. I fished a friends 9'6 for 2 weeks straight and it was a really nice rod. Handled its range well (especially the lower end) and was a really well suited for for what I was looking to do (mainly under 2oz).. 

I figured I'd chat up the rep at striper day before dropping the coin.. glad I waited..

Not 50 feet from the ODM booth was the black hole booth.. I was having a conversation with Kil Song about another BH rod and the 10 prototype came up...

The BH 10' prototype surf rod changed my mind on the ODM in 3 seconds flat.. I don't even think that I consciously made the decision, it just happened when I bent the rod.. no question in my mind it felt better in hand than the ODM option.. 

If your in a rush to make a purchase asap, and only the 2 rods you mentioned are in the running, then I'd take the ODM.. If your local on LI, and can wait until the Melville show in March, I think you'd be very pleasantly surprised by bending the BH 10 foot prototype....

As for a reel, you really cant go wrong with either VS or ZB.. its just gonna boil down to preference.. i own several of both but in truth my preference is the ZB 99% of the time... just make sure your choice is appropriately sized to the rod your choosing.. I'd think VS150 or ZB22 should fit nicely 

22 hours ago, Teak said:

Is it the old model or new model? I might be interested. Where are you located? 

Just to be clear, we don’t allow buying, selling or soliciting in this forum. Your post was approved because it looked like you were seeking input, not trying to buy something here. 

TimS

Money isn't the solution to everything either and if you read these forums enough, all gear has issues... including VanStalls.  Your Mojo and Shimano are probably absolutely fine.  If you are not immersed in surf or swimming, from what I have seen, VS isn't worth it, regardless of the cost, because they are so stiff to crank. Not enjoyable for me at all.

I'm no expert and I don't understand all this newfangled stuff...but a Lami GSB 1201M is darned hard to beat.  A LOT of these have been built and they are good performing, versitility and durable.  Should be able to get one built for $300-350 including good guides and reel seat and no fancy wraps.

I vote 9'0 St. Croix Triumph with a Clash 4k or 5k. Should get the job done for pencils, plugs etc. Also check out the Tsunami Airwave Elites.... I have the 8'8" one and love it. They are great for the money. Mine is about the width of a sharpie marker and it's so sensitive, big fan. I own a VS reel and if you're not planning on dunking it or having heavy spray conditions then the price isn't really worth it, unless you're a hobbyist like me and just flat out want one. Thinking about the 10'6" Airwave model too. You had mentioned this wasn't really for chunking but if it's a one and done then you may have to look at heavier rods for that.

7 hours ago, blackdogfish said:

Money isn't the solution to everything either and if you read these forums enough, all gear has issues... including VanStalls.  Your Mojo and Shimano are probably absolutely fine.  If you are not immersed in surf or swimming, from what I have seen, VS isn't worth it, regardless of the cost, because they are so stiff to crank. Not enjoyable for me at all.

I'm no expert and I don't understand all this newfangled stuff...but a Lami GSB 1201M is darned hard to beat.  A LOT of these have been built and they are good performing, versitility and durable.  Should be able to get one built for $300-350 including good guides and reel seat and no fancy wraps.

My Mojo reel seat spins which is why I want something different, I loved it when it stayed put. I agree with the crank on the vs although I haven't had hands on with a zb. I'm all for saving money but I'd just like to make a good investment in something reputable for a long term. I personally know nothing about building a rod... Sounds interesting to me tho. 

On 2/16/2019 at 5:39 PM, Teak said:

Hey I'm new to the forums but I'm interested in buying a new surf rod this year, more of a one and done type setup. Really interested in the ODM Frontier or st croix legend. Paired with maybe a van staal or zeebaas. I don't want to fish out a lot of money but I really don't want to keep getting cheap setups. Right now I have a 10' MOJO surf paired to a Shimano ultegra XTD. I mainly fish with pencil poppers and yozuri swimmers. Any help is appreciated! 

If you're looking for a really comprehensive,  fo all rod check out the Century S2 Stealth. Will throw a 3/4oz bucky, crush a SP Minnow and will throw 5oz in a pinch but is really happiest up to about 3.5 to 4oz.

It's one of those rods that really covers all bases