Teak

New surf rod

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hey I'm new to the forums but I'm interested in buying a new surf rod this year, more of a one and done type setup. Really interested in the ODM Frontier or st croix legend. Paired with maybe a van staal or zeebaas. I don't want to fish out a lot of money but I really don't want to keep getting cheap setups. Right now I have a 10' MOJO surf paired to a Shimano ultegra XTD. I mainly fish with pencil poppers and yozuri swimmers. Any help is appreciated! 

Edited by Teak
"-'

Well, you’re out of luck hoping not to “fish out a lot of money” with the options you’ve listed that’s for sure lol.  But I get it....trust me I do.

what size/weight pencils and swimmers?  Do you plan on dunking and cranking the reel under water consistently?  Sandy beaches or will you be crawling around on rocks?

Edited by FoliFish

Aaaaahhh, the eternal search for the one-and-done outfit. Like the Fountain of Youth, the Lost City of Z, and the Philosopher's Stone, it shimmers out in the distance, where it is barely visible to fishermen, but they just know it's there. Good luck. Jokes aside, I must ask, for the lures you describe, does your tackle (as is) have any serious deficiency.

While I'm being serious, I should note that I do have the one, true, original Philosopher's Stone. I will soon list it in the BST Forums. I will charge you $300 for it. Once you've spent money on it, and found that it does nothing, you'll just have to be philosophical about it. 

Is that Philosopher Stone powder or liquid?

3oz or 6oz pack?

I do not need to turn my iron into a gold;

I just want to use it on my lures and rode to catch that "gold " striper.

I know the options ive listed are pricy but I just wanna spend it and know it was a good investment. Won't damage my finances so it's alright. I'll be using mostly 1-2oz lures, mostly wading in the surf on the beach and on some jetty tho. 

8 mins ago, Popasilov said:

Is that Philosopher Stone powder or liquid?

3oz or 6oz pack?

I do not need to turn my iron into a gold;

I just want to use it on my lures and rode to catch that "gold " striper.

It's solid, about 10 oz., and will be available with and without beetle larvae attached. Currently residing next to my compost pile, soaking up Mother Earth's goodness.

9 mins ago, BrianBM said:

It's solid, about 10 oz., .......................

Thank you

but solid is not good for me.

Maybe I can crash it and make a powder?

I had a nice legend for sale cheap in BsT.  

I closed thread as no interest.    Lmk if ur interested i can always open thread back up 

34 mins ago, Goldy said:

I had a nice legend for sale cheap in BsT.  

I closed thread as no interest.    Lmk if ur interested i can always open thread back up 

Is it the old model or new model? I might be interested. Where are you located? 

2017 1-6oz 10’6”

you dont have enough posts for bst or pm so will have to wait. Search for the thread you will see pics.  

Well, if you’re set on these two rod options only I can share my opinion on both.

A little background:

The St Croix warranty is insane and no other manufacturer comes close.  I bought one of the old version 10’6” 2-6 when they first came out years ago.  It got a TON of use (mostly at the canal) and finally failed last year.  Brought it to the retailer and they handed me a brand new version...no questions asked (part of that probably my relationship with said shop too).   I digress.

I picked up a frontier 10’6” 2-6 last year too and planned to use it primarily beach/wetsuit fishing which I did.  This rod is a real pleasure to fish.  Plenty of power and light.

So.....

The rating on the ODM is off IMO (like many manufacturers).  To me it feels more like a “1-4”oz rod.  After 3.5oz I felt like I was pushing it and it got a little sloppy.  Really excelled on the low end with loaded redfins, sp minnows, Mavericks, ss darters, Bombers, and others up to 3-3.5oz. 

The Legend 1-6 is a little more versatile.  It doesn’t necessarily excel on the low end but is more than adequate.  Much wider weight range though throwing loaded redfins thru fast sink 228 Magic Swimmers (around 5oz).  Based on test cats last spring.

Similar mod-fast action, feel and sensitivity between the two.  The Legend is a little  “fancy” for my taste with the high end guides and seat, but it is what it is. The ODM has nice components but a little more “laid back” or toned down IMO.  

If I could find one at a decent price, I’d grab a Legend 10’6” 1-6oz blank and have it built with the components on the ODM (k-guides, Fuji ergo seat, simple butt and foregrip). It doesn’t do just one thing great, but does everything really well.  Make sense?

I won’t open the ZB versus VS can of worms.  

Edited by FoliFish

17 mins ago, FoliFish said:

Well, if you’re set on these two rod options only I can share my opinion on both.

A little background:

The St Croix warranty is insane and no other manufacturer comes close.  I bought one of the old version 10’6” 2-6 when they first came out years ago.  It got a TON of use (mostly at the canal) and finally failed last year.  Brought it to the retailer and they handed me a brand new version...no questions asked (part of that probably my relationship with said shop too).   I digress.

I picked up a frontier 10’6” 2-6 last year too and planned to use it primarily beach/wetsuit fishing which I did.  This rod is a real pleasure to fish.  Plenty of power and light.

So.....

The rating on the ODM is off IMO (like many manufacturers).  To me it feels more like a “1-4”oz rod.  After 3.5oz I felt like I was pushing it and it got a little sloppy.  Really excelled on the low end with loaded redfins, sp minnows, Mavericks, ss darters, Bombers, and others up to 3-3.5oz. 

The Legend 1-6 is a little more versatile.  It doesn’t necessarily excel on the low end but is more than adequate.  Much wider weight range though throwing loaded redfins thru fast sink 228 Magic Swimmers (around 5oz).

Similar mod-fast action, feel and sensitivity between the two.  The Legend is a little  “fancy” for my taste with the high end guides and seat, but it is what it is. The ODM has nice components but a little more “laid back” or toned down IMO.  

If I could find one at a decent price, I’d grab a Legend 10’6” 1-6oz blank and have it built with the components on the ODM (k-guides, Fuji ergo seat, simple butt and foregrip). It doesn’t do just one thing great, but does everything really well.  Make sense?

I won’t open the ZB versus VS can of worms.  

I appreciate the opinion! I do favor the warranty on the legend much more so I'm kinda leaning towards that. I just want a setup that I wouldn't have to worry about warranty. I believe ODM is only a year? 

I would recommend ODM frontier X 9'6" for your use, but a 10'6" will also be fine. If you are not fishing among rocks, pair it with 20lb lines will give you better performance than a heavier line. If you are buying factory rods, make sure you pair it with a reel that fits the guide layout. VS150 would be the ideal choice, but it's up to you. Good luck!

4 hours ago, tand331 said:

I would recommend ODM frontier X 9'6" for your use, but a 10'6" will also be fine. If you are not fishing among rocks, pair it with 20lb lines will give you better performance than a heavier line. If you are buying factory rods, make sure you pair it with a reel that fits the guide layout. VS150 would be the ideal choice, but it's up to you. Good luck!

Couldn't agree more. Good luck