bonefishdick

Tattoo - Off Topic

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Today I was watching women's tennis and I noticed one had a tattoo and it made me think about the one tattoo I got when I was I stationed in Thailand, I believe it was back in 1968, it was an Eagle with my Initials just below. It cost me $2.50 and it was done with a pointed bamboo shoot by hand. It was in a place next to a bar, I was with 3 other guys that night, we all went home with tattoos.

Not that would do it now but I was wondering if I got another tattoo and it was of a fish, what it would be?

I'm thinking first it would not be a hugh obnoxious tat,  but a simple nice one on the small size, I think my pick would be a Snook, I just love the fight they give, how hard they can hit and much they run and jump.

That would be my pick, curious to hear what other people would pick

Dick you've been through quite a bit over the years and you certainly display an enormous amount of fight so I'd opt for a Tarpon.    Some say one of the spieces with the greatest amount of fight on the eastern seaboard.... fitting for you for sure.

to plagiarize:

Atlantic Tarpon

Atlantic Tarpon - pound for pound best fighting inshore gamefish. Ok, some of you might be saying, “here we go again with the Tarpon”. It seems that just about every publication or survey on inshore fishing has the Tarpon at number one for fighting ability. Well, that’s because it’s a fact – the Atlantic Tarpon is the hardest fighting fish, pound-for-pound inshore.

All of the species we’ve listed are prized for their tenacity and fighting spirit, but no inshore species is as tough to land as the Tarpon (also known as the Silver King and Sabalo). That’s because no other inshore fish combines size (75 – 80 lbs on average, with many in the 100 to 150 lb range and the occasional behemoth pushing 300 lbs), speed, stamina, and aerial acrobatics quite the way the Tarpon does.

A little more on the Tarpon’s stamina. One of the great advantages Tarpon have over other fish is a uniquely formed air bladder that allows them to intake oxygen from the surface, giving them great endurance for those hard and long battles. This is one of the reasons for their ability to make multiple long runs and repeated spectacular jumps.

Also off topic, thought you were scheduled to tie Betsys at the Bear's Den today.    I didn't end up making it there this year and wondering how it turned out.

HT

I would chose a fly not a fish and it would be the Royal Coachman.  Only dry fly my father used.....  Still plan on getting one some day soon.

2 hours ago, HillTop said:

Dick you've been through quite a bit over the years and you certainly display an enormous amount of fight so I'd opt for a Tarpon.    Some say one of the spieces with the greatest amount of fight on the eastern seaboard.... fitting for you for sure.

to plagiarize:

Atlantic Tarpon

Atlantic Tarpon - pound for pound best fighting inshore game fish.

Also off topic, thought you were scheduled to tie Betsys at the Bear's Den today.    I didn't end up making it there this year and wondering how it turned out.

HT

HT, I did consider the Tarpon and if I were ever catch one big enough to kick my butt, I would be willing to change my mind but for now it still has to be the Snook.

I was supposed to tie but I recently had to spend another four day stint in the hospital with some complications that set me back on my heels. Everything is fine now. I was very disappointed that I could not go, I was really excited about doing the show.

2 hours ago, qecfly said:

I would chose a fly not a fish and it would be the Royal Coachman.  Only dry fly my father used.....  Still plan on getting one some day soon.

I like the idea of a fly also, we can open it up to that as well, I do hope we get more replies. 

I have thought about it a lot but don't know if I'd ever go through with it.

They look cool as hell but the thought of my body being permanently imprinted on just for visuals sake doesn't sit right with me. 

If I ever did I'd go for something Inuit. My family comes from separate backgounds. Mom's side completely italian dad's side French Canadian. I personally align more with them than the Italian side dispite looking like I belong on my mom's side more than my dad's. 

Really like this style. 

beardy-bird-fish.jpg

Oakman that looks so cool it would be wicked to have art of my own I'm just not sure I want to stain my skin. I may PM you with a few questions if that is ok sometime about it. 

I’ve got a lot of ink. The only fish is a sailfish on my leg. That one is for my dad. He’s got it as well. I think his is about 15 years older.

There is more in my future and I’m sure there will be some fish involved. I’ve thought about a collage of scale and color patterns. 

well if looking for hardest hitter, fighter, jumper go catch a few peacock bass u might change mind, the sound a double digit fish makes slurping up a topwater plug is unmatched. so my vote is peacock bass.

You may want to open up the symbolism to something reflective of the place and or feelings associated with the fish or fishing. In my case I chose the light house of a fishing location i love. 

0E3E9A6F-6381-4A10-A22C-0E8907ADDC2A.jpeg

43 mins ago, Camren said:

You may want to open up the symbolism to something reflective of the place and or feelings associated with the fish or fishing. In my case I chose the light house of a fishing location i love. 

0E3E9A6F-6381-4A10-A22C-0E8907ADDC2A.jpeg

That's a great idea! Dick for you I'd suggest this the entire span of your back;

dunk.png.121cba4d0cce95acca7f59781ef0f19c.pngbut probably a tee shirt could do the job...