St Croix Mojo Surf Rod

Rate this topic

Outdoorscout

I love my mojo 10', I'm on my third season with with with zero issues. However, the tsunami elites are leaps and bounds something I'd trust a little more with bigger fish, especially the newer ones with the reel seat issues. Dont get me wrong, I'm sure the Mojo will be fine but after winching in 60-70 cownoses last summer with my elites, it's a toss up.

I own an 8' St Croix Mojo Surf.  It's a great rod with a great feel and I love fishing it. The only thing that you have to be careful about with this line of rods is the guides.  I don't think that they are Fuji guides, and they actually seem pretty cheap.  I have already had one ceramic pop out.  You surely can't take anything away from St Croix's customer service though.  They will generally be pretty good about replacing or repairing the rod for either very cheap or even free.  As for what rod you should buy, I would say that it would depend on the size of fish that you catch.  In my area, there are not many huge fish, so I generally use the lightest rod possible.  

I had 2 mojos a 9 and 10 ft, both snapped on me while casting last fall. A guy fishing next to me when it snapped  told me he had the same problem. Called st.croix and customer service was great, decided to upgrade to a legend they had me send in the 2 broken rods as credit towards it. Mojo is a great rod until it breaks 

Wow guys. Thanks for the response! I have been reading reviews and watching Youtube vids for the St Croix Mojo and Tsunami Elite. So far, I am leaning towards the Tsunami. It's funny that my original post is about the St Croix. Now that someone else mentioned the Tsunami and reading good reviews about it, I might pull the plug and purchase it! Going to purchase the Tsunami Elite 9'6 3/4 - 3oz.

Go for it. I had the 9' Mojo 3/4-3. Sold it. I thought it was too stiff for me. Got an 8'8 Airwave Elite and love it. Fished it a lot this fall. I'll probably pick up the 9'6 this year despite just telling my daughter on the way to surf day that I don't need anymore rods. I didn't say I didn't want anymore...shhhh!

1 hour ago, Outdoorscout said:

Wow guys. Thanks for the response! I have been reading reviews and watching Youtube vids for the St Croix Mojo and Tsunami Elite. So far, I am leaning towards the Tsunami. It's funny that my original post is about the St Croix. Now that someone else mentioned the Tsunami and reading good reviews about it, I might pull the plug and purchase it! Going to purchase the Tsunami Elite 9'6 3/4 - 3oz.

Dynamite rod. I use the 9'6 for north shore exclusively. Paired with a slammer 3 4500. I use it for 1/2 oz bucktails to 2 oz plugs and tins.

I had both 9ft. Mojos, and sold both. If a i had to choose between the 2, it would be the 3/4-4.

My favorite Mojo is the 11ft. 3-8. It’s more like a 2-6. It’s one of those rods that can almost do everything. 

Edited by Tagman