ZAFisher

World Records

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

So who saw that 100g 125g and 150g official world records were ALL broken this week?

281 and a bit meters is a very long way to throw a 5.25oz sinker (non metric minded that's 307yd / 921'

Trust me, I was there measuring. Its a LONG walk out.

(sorry about weird formatting.... cant seem to fix it)

Edited by ZAFisher

Just

thought

you

were

attempting

the longest

skinniest

long

casting

So where ??

Any pics ??

I'm finally home after 5.39 months of hospitalization due to being rear ended in Sept of last year ...

Here in South Africa.

We hosted the Sport Fishing World Games (FIPS sanctioned event)

150g was broken twice on the 2nd day

1st time was by Rafael Sanzo from Uruguay with a cast of 280.65m

2nd time Filippo Montepagano from Italy achieved 281.19m

125g 280.69m Filippo Montepagano (Italy)

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:36 AM, frazerp said:

Just

thought

you

were

attempting

the longest

skinniest

long

casting

So where ??

Any pics ??

I'm finally home after 5.39 months of hospitalization due to being rear ended in Sept of last year ...

That's a looong hospital stay! How close to your being back to normal?

Interesting distance casting results.  That is, casting distance achieved with 170g weights was less than 150g, 125g, and 100g weights, and several of the longest casts were with 125g weights.

Don't know if the contestants used the same rod and reel across the weight range or changed their setup based on weight being tossed.  Without knowing the details, the results suggest the same rod and reel, and that the rod was rated for 100g to 150g lures (3.5 to 5 ounces).

With the right rod, I would expect 175g (6-ounce) weights to produce the longest distances.

These tournament results appear to suggest I need to load up my tackle box with 4-ounce weights (125g) in order to improve my casting distance.  Presently my arsenal is made up of 5, 6 and 7-ounce weights for beach fishing using surf rods rated for 4 to 10-ounce lures.

Correct, or am I missing something?

2 hours ago, bshepard said:

Interesting distance casting results.  That is, casting distance achieved with 170g weights was less than 150g, 125g, and 100g weights, and several of the longest casts were with 125g weights.

Don't know if the contestants used the same rod and reel across the weight range or changed their setup based on weight being tossed.  Without knowing the details, the results suggest the same rod and reel, and that the rod was rated for 100g to 150g lures (3.5 to 5 ounces).

With the right rod, I would expect 175g (6-ounce) weights to produce the longest distances.

These tournament results appear to suggest I need to load up my tackle box with 4-ounce weights (125g) in order to improve my casting distance.  Presently my arsenal is made up of 5, 6 and 7-ounce weights for beach fishing using surf rods rated for 4 to 10-ounce lures.

Correct, or am I missing something?

They are pendulum casting which is probably a lot different than what you are doing. It adds a lot of energy to the cast. It get increasingly difficult to pendulum cast when you get above 150 grams. 

21 mins ago, Jim McFeeley said:

They are pendulum casting which is probably a lot different than what you are doing. It adds a lot of energy to the cast. It get increasingly difficult to pendulum cast when you get above 150 grams. 

Not sure Jim I understand your comment, but I'm using the simple pendulum cast as taught by John Holden.

To clarify my post on casting weight...chose a contestant, say Bustos.  He threw a 175g weight 265.8 yards.  He increased the distance to 276.4 yards by throwing a 150g weight, and even further to 280.3 yards with a 125g weight.  His distance dropped to 269.7 yards throwing a 100g weight.

Note Bustos's distances decreased as weight increased above 125g. 

Monti, Trasonlini, Zama, Morra, Vancauwenberghe, and Del Nero all achieved their maximum distance with a 125g weight. 

That's 7 out of 12 hit their maximum distance with a 125g weight.

Look at Sanzo's distances.  They increase as weight increases from 100g to 150g, but at 175g the distance decreases.  His results mimic my understanding of the relationship between lure weight and casting distance achieved.

So, now I'm wondering if I should add 125g weights to my arsenal.

Sorry I misunderstood you. I thought you were wondering why 150 gram casts farther than say 175. I can only say from my experience and what I’ve been told that when you go over 150 grams it’s harder to handle and any timing flaws show up more

4 hours ago, bshepard said:

Not sure Jim I understand your comment, but I'm using the simple pendulum cast as taught by John Holden.

To clarify my post on casting weight...chose a contestant, say Bustos.  He threw a 175g weight 265.8 yards.  He increased the distance to 276.4 yards by throwing a 150g weight, and even further to 280.3 yards with a 125g weight.  His distance dropped to 269.7 yards throwing a 100g weight.

Just FYI  Those distances are in meters, not yards.

300 yards = 274.32 meters

Yip.

I think there is some sort of hoo-haa between him and FIPS hence he was not here, but I could be mis-informed.

On 2/20/2019 at 6:14 PM, bshepard said:

Note Bustos's distances decreased as weight increased above 125g. 

Monti, Trasonlini, Zama, Morra, Vancauwenberghe, and Del Nero all achieved their maximum distance with a 125g weight. 

That's 7 out of 12 hit their maximum distance with a 125g weight.

Look at Sanzo's distances.  They increase as weight increases from 100g to 150g, but at 175g the distance decreases.  His results mimic my understanding of the relationship between lure weight and casting distance achieved.

There's one way to find out.

Go cast in a field with various sinkers and see with which sinker weight you achieve your best results.

You may be surprised.

My personal (mediocre) results show 150g as my PB, but only by about 5m over 125g

On 2/22/2019 at 3:43 AM, ZAFisher said:

There's one way to find out.

Go cast in a field with various sinkers and see with which sinker weight you achieve your best results.

You may be surprised.

My personal (mediocre) results show 150g as my PB, but only by about 5m over 125g

Do you have any info for the brand of the rods and reels they used during this competition?