Kent I

Syringes for measuring epoxy?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

After a couple of failures and near failures with epoxy, I've finally given in to the obvious and starting using syringes for measurement, but have a few questions. 

First, the nozzles on the syringes I bought seem too small for a viscous material like epoxy. Is there a particular type of syringe I should be using, or do the small diameter nozzles work ok ( just to make sure I wouldn't have a problem, I shortened the nozzles for my first run to get a bigger diameter at the outlet ). 

Second, I found that the barrels of the nozzles were too big to fit into the neck of a small bottle of Etex, so how do you fill the stringe? I just poured from the bottle into the syringe, keeping my finger over the end of the nozzle. Seems like there should be an easier way, but it isn't obvious to me. 

Third, do you throw them away after one use, or clean them out, or store them with a cap on or what?

Any hints on how to use these gadgets more easily and efficiently would be greatly appreciated.

Most guys advice against the lil medine ones they give ya at cvs with your kids medicine because of the silicone .. but i gently boil them for 15 min or so and never had a problem with them and been using for long time .. i take a plastic cup and cut a piece of cardboard and cut to fit top of cup and poke to holes in it and label A and B .. use the same droppers almost a year no problem as long as you always use them for their respective parts .. 

if you want to play it safe look at Mudhole or other rod building places for one ment for epoxy 

29E5E8E6-00B5-4339-AF9B-C23B46BD9352.jpeg

They have those rubber stopper caps with the hole in the center, and a flip on/off cap. They're advertised as for dispensing liquid meds. You jam the syringe into the hole, tilt your part A or B, and pull the plunger out on the syringe. Obviously, have designated syringes for A and B. This system kept my epoxy fresh for years, and I could use the syringes maybe 30x. Sometimes, I would clean the syringes by sucking up denatured and squirting it out a bunch of times. About 2 months ago I got near the end of my epoxy and tossed out my stuff, or I'd take a pic and show it. The caps eventually got gunky. I have maybe 15cc of A and B left, so this weekend I'll go buy more caps, syringes, and another 1/2 gallon of epoxy.

I've always used the ones sold by FlexCoat . Any parts supplier selling blanks/guides will have them. 

As XBMX said, get the syringes from a rod building supply place, they are made for epoxy use.  Being a low volume builder I just use the 3 ml size. Drill a hole in the Epoxy bottle cap so that the syringe nozzle will fit snugly, then just invert the bottle and draw the epoxy into the syringe.  I have been using the same syringe and bottle caps for a couple of years now with no problems. 

Thanks for all the great advice! Using syringes has turned out to be a Great Leap Forward in my results, and I've ordered some of the Flexcoat ones to simplify the process. 

I bought some glue syringes off of amazon and they have worked great for me . the epoxy I use has to be a very perfect mix and i’ve found this to be the best way.