Thinking going back to the paddle

27 mins ago, bentstick said:

Biggest thing I missed when I moved to the peddle was the loss of muscle tone to the upper body.

Nobody said you couldn’t paddle some of the time :angel:

Any society that charges it's own children for knowledge, is doomed to fail.

Whilst intelligence is not affected by geography, it is influenced by education, opportunity and drive.   

Now is the time to change our attitude towards blues, next year may well be too late (Somebody listened :th: )
Member of the Yellow Eyed Devils
May you never have to fish to live, rather live to fish.

I also have multiple kayaks,3 one I never use. I have a c14 and revo 16 the Hobie can be a bear to get set up and down to the water it’s heavy and involved, but in current and wind can’t be beat especially if you plan on going any distance. The Eddyline is so light I can literally walk with it on my shoulder with my fishing gear in my other hand. If you have the room and means I would go with two kayaks .

On 2/15/2019 at 3:38 PM, faithless said:

I own a mint fully decked out grey 2017 Revo 13 with the 180 drive. Used it a few times last summer in bay and freshwater. I fished out of a Trident 13 for 8 years before that. It took me at least 3 trips to get used to peddling and fishing at the same time. I have to say the Hobie excels in speed and windy conditions. Don't really care for the "hands free fishing thing". You quickly realize in a Hobie it is one hand on the rudder and one hand on the rod. You constantly have to adjust the rudder.

I have come to a conclusion that I fish 50% rivers, 25% lakes and 25% inshore.  In the summer when water levels drop I fish shallow and grass. I miss the deck space as my knees are constantly in my way. This Hobie pedal drive kayaks excel primarily for a saltwater fisherman. You can stay on the water all day looking at the fish finder and covering a lot of ground. You can fish for flounder in the summer among boat traffic without any issues. You can fish in the wind and current without wind socks or anchors. With that said, I go out on the nicer days when fishing the bay. Paddling the revo without the rudder down is doable but a chore.

I am looking at the new Trident 13 with a rudder this time. The problem is the 2019 come with hideous color. If I saw a left over 2018 Urban Camo color Trident 13 at a store right now I don't think I would pass it up.

Did anyone ever go back to paddles after owning a Hobie for a while? Any regrets? I don't want to own two kayaks.

I’m having the opposite problem lol I have a camo blue prowler 13 and I want a hobie now, i feel like it’s a chore on a windy day to be paddling back or against the wind. Not only that but I could never effectively cover ground or troll. At least in my area, I feel as though with any pedal kayak it would be easier

Thank you for reminding me about how much I hated constantly tweaking the rudder.  I had an Outback.  There are a lot of advantages to having an Outback and Mirage Drive, but I like paddling.  I've owned six kayaks and my favorite is the Perception Search 13 I bought used for $300. 

Edited by Captain Tuttle

3 hours ago, bentstick said:

It's no fun paddiling a hobie, tracking sucks

I am hoping the 2019 Outback tracks much better and quicker.   The feedback in that regard has been positive.   I fish 50% salt and 50% fresh and hoping the 2019 Outback is versatile enough to either pedal or paddle, especially in the rivers or shallow waters.

I started out with paddle yaks and got tired of them quickly when dealing with windy conditions.  No regrets since switching to Hobie.  

Edited by GeoffT

I think I will just have to bite the bullet and pick up another paddle kayak. It is interesting that no local dealers carry Ocean Kayak anymore everything was replaced by Perception. 

The two I am interested in is the Tetra 12 or the Prowler 13. Seems like both boats are around 55lbs. I like the Prowler but I am not crazy about the molded foot wells. Seems to me like they would just hold water and not drain properly. Also the Tetra can have a rudder installed and a mod pod if I wanted down the road.

I would recommend trying the compass if you'd like a pedal and paddle yak. Hull weight is 68 pounds which 11 pounds less than the trident and It paddles far better than the older mirage models. It's not fully loaded like some of the other yaks but you can easily customize it and the price is right. The new outback has a similar hull design and paddles much better than the old one but is more feature loaded and thus heavier and more expensive but can do it all right out of the box.

Not sure if you have any West Marines around you OP, but they had their Tarpon 120 clone, the Pompano 120, on clearance for like $300 a little while back. Foot pegs, built in rod holders, 60 lb Hull and a nice low COG. Maybe some stores still have it? 

1 hour ago, drmevo said:

Not sure if you have any West Marines around you OP, but they had their Tarpon 120 clone, the Pompano 120, on clearance for like $300 a little while back. Foot pegs, built in rod holders, 60 lb Hull and a nice low COG. Maybe some stores still have it? 

I think they're discontinuing it, not on their website any more. $300 would be a steal, that pre-2008 version of the Tarpon (same mold) was part of what put kayak fishing on the map. I paid $600 for an identical Pescador 12 like 7 or 8 years ago.

Edited by gellfex