JoeyZac

Who's in Great Bay?

Rate this topic

166 posts in this topic

On 2/15/2019 at 3:00 PM, ChumSlickJon said:

I'm usually casting from shore but not until April 1.  

me too. i guess i could try march if you guys say there is life.

and stay away from the sods, or i'll bounce a bucktail off your heads :mad:

just kidding, i've only seen a handfull of boats out in the dark, and they seem like they are heading offshore, or drunks trying to find their way home.

Hey Rocco, a few years back I'm fishing the sods. Bunker came in thick so I was chunking heads, plopping them out about 90 yards right next to a boat.  I hooked into a solid fish, pulled drag and had to be under the guys boat, splashing around it and all.  I see them break out the flash light shining it into the water.  

The next day a buddy at work was telling me about his trip the night before.  Talking about fish breaking around the boat and shing the light into the bunker school around the boat.  I broke out a picture of the fish, "was this the one splashing next to your boat?" 

Yup, it was him.  LOL

6 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

Hey Rocco, a few years back I'm fishing the sods. Bunker came in thick so I was chunking heads, plopping them out about 90 yards right next to a boat.  I hooked into a solid fish, pulled drag and had to be under the guys boat, splashing around it and all.  I see them break out the flash light shining it into the water.  

The next day a buddy at work was telling me about his trip the night before.  Talking about fish breaking around the boat and shing the light into the bunker school around the boat.  I broke out a picture of the fish, "was this the one splashing next to your boat?" 

Yup, it was him.  LOL

:laugh:

it really is a small world sometimes. i really can't recall encountering boats doing any active fishing out there at night. maybe once or twice, and then far enough off the sods i didn't have to change the way i was fishing. i have seen them as the sun comes up, and they can and will get right on top of you. 

more memorable for me, has been middle of the pitch black, new moon night and a dolphin pops up to breath :b: sounds like its right on top of you, even if its not. i also had a fox (i think) shriek at me on the path one night, from a couple feet away in the weeds. i nearly **** my pants but didn't run. i just let out the meanest, loudest roar i could right back. :laugh: it was all very instinctive and spur of the moment. no idea i would react like that.

30 mins ago, rocco said:

more memorable for me, has been middle of the pitch black, new moon night and a dolphin pops up to breath :b: sounds like its right on top of you, even if its not. i also had a fox (i think) shriek at me on the path one night, from a couple feet away in the weeds. i nearly **** my pants but didn't run. i just let out the meanest, loudest roar i could right back. :laugh: it was all very instinctive and spur of the moment. no idea i would react like that.

It can be creepy as hell on those nights.  My cuz and I were fishing under one of the bridges and around 3am we hear some people walking over the bridge having a conversation.  We look at each other thinking "da fuq?"  I walk up on the bridge to confront them.  No body around.  :shrug:  Vanished in thin air.  

55 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

It can be creepy as hell on those nights.  My cuz and I were fishing under one of the bridges and around 3am we hear some people walking over the bridge having a conversation.  We look at each other thinking "da fuq?"  I walk up on the bridge to confront them.  No body around.  :shrug:  Vanished in thin air.  

i think i told you my big black drum story. thought there was some kind of crazy spy sub coming up the creek one night until i figured out what it was.

1 hour ago, ChumSlickJon said:

Curious as to why someone walking over the bridge having a conversation should be confronted?

38 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

Curious as to why someone walking over the bridge having a conversation should be confronted?

You're neighborhood is full of crack heads.  I'd rather get a jump on a bad situation rather than be a sitting duck.  It might have been someone else coming down to fish or someone coming down to shoot up.  

And not for nothing, Joey.  Most places are full of shady people.  I'm always keeping my head on a swivel no matter where I'm at.  especially at 3am.  

9 hours ago, ChumSlickJon said:

You're neighborhood is full of crack heads.  I'd rather get a jump on a bad situation rather than be a sitting duck.  It might have been someone else coming down to fish or someone coming down to shoot up.  

Not trying to be a dick, but being directly confrontational is a fantastic way to start a problem, not avoid one. If you want to avoid trouble, especially with people that you think are intoxicated, just mind your business and let them mind theirs. They were just using a bridge for its intended purpose.

Posted (edited) · Report post

In other news, a popular local fishing spot has been closed due to unprovoked attacks on individuals by a local fisherman. Anyone caught fishing this area will be charged with trespassing and have their gear confiscated. Details at 11.

Edited by ATH1089

1 hour ago, ATH1089 said:

In other news, a popular local fishing spot has been closed due to unprovoked attacks on individuals by a local fisherman. Anyone caught fishing this area will be charged with trespassing and have their gear confiscated. Details at 11.

“Details at 11.” The millennials on this site don’t know what that means.